Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Purchasing Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purchasing-batting-t34115.html)

mochasue 01-14-2010 08:46 AM

I went to Betty's Fabric (my local store) and wanted to purchase a "bag" of batting. They told me that they don't sell it by the bag only on rolls (by the yard). I needed to know how much I wanted and they would cut it for me. They also made sure that I knew that only places like Wal-Mart and lower end stores sell it by the bags any longer. They made me feel really uncomfortable. I had no idea that "real" fabric stores only sold it off of rolls now. They really were not very friendly to me either. I guess I won't be going back there.

My question is...Do you purchase your batting by the bag or by the yard?

kmohan 01-14-2010 09:01 AM

Any LQS shop I've been to has batting in both bags and rolls. The bagged stuff (like Quilters Dream) is specificly cut (crib, twin, queen, king). Stuff on the roll (like insulbrite, warm and natural) will often come in sever different widths and can be purchased by the yard.

I think your shop was out of place to make you feel uncomfortable like that. They should want to keep your business, not drive it away.

SherriB 01-14-2010 09:02 AM

Our local Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby sells batting both in the bags and on the roll. I usually buy it by the yard because I can get it cheaper that way. I bought 4 yards of White and Natural this morning for $24.00.

The only Walmart that sells fabric here sell batting by the yard only. They only sell poly-fil by the bag.

Esqmommy 01-14-2010 09:08 AM

Not true at all. I regularly visit three high-end LQS's in the SF Bay area and they all carry batting both by the yard and in the bags! Some are flat, some are round, but it's all batting. What a rude message they sent to you!

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 09:31 AM

My sis and I bought a whole roll from JoAnn's and split the cost. We bought online, and had it delivered right to my door.

Mamagus 01-14-2010 09:35 AM

I don't consider Hobbs 100% cotton batting to be cheap and as far as I know that comes only in bags. So does bamboo batting that Connecting Threads sells.

Shame on them!

Joan 01-14-2010 09:42 AM

I'm sorry you had an "uncomfortable" experience with a Quilt Shop's staff. (maybe they were having a bad day)

Every store I frequent has batting on the roll and in the bag. I bought a whole bunch at JoAnn's and used my 40% off coupon some time ago. I hope to be well stocked for quite a while.

But, for what it's worth, I've both batting both ways.

bearspaws 01-14-2010 09:42 AM

I just got two bags of Hobbs Heirloom Premium from Connecting Threads, looks like good stuff to me!

Jim's Gem 01-14-2010 10:55 AM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Betty's. The times that I have been there, everyone was wonderful.
I buy my batting by the roll. I order Warm and Natural from JoAnns when it is half off and have it delivered to my door.
I believe that my LQS's still have some packaged batting. I havn't really paid attention because I buy in bulk.

Lneal 01-14-2010 10:58 AM

I like Hobbs cotton batting and only place I can find it now is at LQS or Hobby Lobby. I think maybe you can order online too.