Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Purse stand up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purse-stand-up-t126694.html)

joellesews 05-31-2011 04:21 AM

I use the heavt weight cross stitch fabric.. and it's cheaper than alot of things too

joellesews 05-31-2011 04:21 AM

I use the heavy weight cross stitch fabric.. and it's cheaper than alot of things too

jitkaau 05-31-2011 04:44 AM

I use pellon and quilt batting for the bag and plastic canvas for the bottom.

familyfun 05-31-2011 05:16 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am in the process of making my second bag.. I didnt want to run out to the store yesturday so I used Warm and natural and a layer of heavy weight interfacing. It already seems stiffer than the first. I am going to get some fusible pellon fleece for the next one. seems like that is the most popular.
thanks again

Wonnie 05-31-2011 05:43 AM

It looks like the Bow Tucks purse. Have made it and it stands alone with no problem but you really need to use the Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece to get it to hold its shape properly. You can find it at JoAnn's'. I, also, cut down an artist canvas to fit the bottom perfectly and covered it with fabric and it adds permanent shape to the bottom as well. You can find it at Craft 2000, Michael's, etc. and it's very inexpensive.

mariebaker 05-31-2011 05:55 AM

I am bookmarking this entire tread-what great suggestions!
thanks

Pete 05-31-2011 06:05 AM

A group of us made the same bag - same batting - only mine stood up, I quilted much smaller than they did. Hope this helps.

Mariposa 05-31-2011 06:19 AM

I use fusible fleece for the bags. I also buy acrylic things for the bottoms of the bag. My LQS sells several sizes. Their site is: www.myquiltedmoose.com-located in Colfax, WA.

jigs1354 05-31-2011 07:19 AM

Hi, about your purse, I use "Tim Tex", it's a very stiff material that looks like a piece of batting surface but very stiff. Can be cut very easy with Offa cutter. Most of the time I just order from on line stores. It comes by the yard an is 18" wide and costs about 5 or 6 dollars per yd. if I remember right. ( google it and price it out at different shops). Measure the bottom of your purse pattern when sewing together and cut to that measurement. I also cover it with lining fabric an sew in a grid back & forth over the top for more stiffness. Usually about 6" wide on most bags I've made. Don't bend it, and that's easy to do. When I make bags I do cut a piece of lt. weight batting the same size as the sides and use it like 1 piece, gives body to the sides. I use warm & natural batting for this. I don't use the fluffy stuff in the sides.
good luck
Shirley/Tn.

TootieAnn 05-31-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Check out Soft 'n Stable at byannie.com. This works greatand holds its shape

This was what I was thinking of. I haven't used it, but I saw it advertised on a blog earlier. I would like to try it!