Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "put the eye of the needle throgh the knot" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/put-eye-needle-throgh-knot-t210577.html)

BellaBoo 01-11-2013 05:46 AM

I always use the quilter's knot for all hand stitching.

Caswews 01-11-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Iraxy (Post 5778053)
Quilters take their information from all sorts of sources and kindness is a virtue most quilters have. If only more people were like quilters perhaps it would truly be a kinder more gentler place.

Amen to that one .. You said it better than I could of for sure .. Thank you!

sewbelle52 01-11-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5774818)
She might have been talking about getting the knot down close to your work? When you tie a knot and it looks like it is going to too far from the work, before you pull it tight, insert the needle tip (tip not the eye)in the loop of the knot and pull on the thread tail as you slide the knot down tight to the work with the needle tip. Pull the needle tip out just before giving the knot a good tug to get it tight. Clear as mud right? It is hard to describe but easy to do.

This sounds like what I do and in our area, we call it a "surgeon's knot". I think of it like this: when you pull your thread thru the last time, leave a small loop or make a small loop with thread. Stick needle thru loop once then going the same direction, stick it thru loop again and pull tightly pushing knot with one finger & thumb down as close to fabric as you can get. Makes a great knot! Hope this makes sense! I also use these knots with my EPP diamond stars.

Milli 01-11-2013 09:47 AM

It is clear as mud now that I got it to work.

sewnut 01-11-2013 11:29 AM

willferg has it right. I just learned to do it and the knots stay in really well and do not pull thru the thread. They are awesome!

sewnut 01-11-2013 11:30 AM

they don't pull thru the fabric i mean sorry.

alisonquilts 01-11-2013 11:42 AM

Now that we have established that the bus lady has quilting credibility...what were her cranberry nut loaf insights?

Alison

jeanharville 01-11-2013 05:27 PM

I'm always needing to increase my kindness level, so I'm glad I'm hanging out with the right people. And that is not a joke or sarcasm. You are kind people. Thanks.

AndysC 01-11-2013 05:30 PM

LOL Alison. It did sound quite tasty. "Orange zest" is apparently a must. Will have to try it, once I buy a zester. LOL

Now I am in a PANIC, however, over knots. The woman who tought me how to do a cathedral windows said to do the following.

1. To start, tie a double knot and bury it in the folds of the windows. Cut the tail VERY short.

2. to end, get to the "end", then make two extra stitches, passing the needle through each before tightening.

So that is what I have been doing.

ACK - is this whole thing just going to fall apart??

MimiBug123 01-11-2013 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=willferg;5776049]I was baffled at first, and then I thought of how I make knots when I'm embroidering – I wrap the thread a few times around the tip and then slide the wraps (which become the knot) down over the eye of the needle, down the thread, till it's a knot at the end.

I never would have described it the way she did, but like you said, you find all kinds, and not just in Boston!

I do my knots just like you do. It's called a quilter's knot and I've never heard of putting your needle through the knot. I'd say just count that as one strange encounter and go on about your business. Sounds like yet another kook loose in the world!