Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Putting Your Work Out There. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/putting-your-work-out-there-t305565.html)

Watson 07-02-2019 12:17 PM

Putting Your Work Out There.

I have been asked to teach a collage class by a few stores in the area and to make a sample of what the class would be working on.
I made up the sample...a fish...and took it to the first shop and was kind of surprised to discover that I was really nervous to present it for consideration, knowing that my art would be "judged" as to whether it was good enough or not.
I got over my nerves, and we are deciding on dates for the classes.

I guess my point is that quilting, whether it be traditional, collage, modern, whatever....is really art and we all should be proud and happy to present our efforts to others, regardless of their opinions.

Watson

mindless 07-02-2019 12:20 PM

Yes, and your work is gorgeous. You should be proud of it! But I get it that jitters happen anyway. It's still tough to actually always believe that it doesn't matter what others think.

rusty quilter 07-02-2019 12:36 PM

We all have jitters...(I suspect) when anyone looks at our work...I also write...and when someone else looks at my writing...I always feel exposed.

dunster 07-02-2019 12:55 PM

Watson, if I ever get to visit Ontario I will check first to see when and where you're teaching. Your work is very definitely good enough!

Stitchnripper 07-02-2019 01:33 PM

I guess in the quilting world there is something for everyone. I love scrappies for example, but I am the only one in my two quilting groups who does, and while they say nice things about my work, I know it isn't their taste or their standard since they do much more intricate projects. Mr. Stitchnripper and I look at art sometimes, in an art museum, and just don't get it. We went to an exhibit recently and were befuddled that some of the pieces were even there, and our friend went later and said she would give her right arm for any one of the pieces, they were that good. Go figure.

Kelsie 07-02-2019 01:42 PM

I know. I have just decided that I will enter our local fair this summer. This will be with my first finished quilt and the other is made with my first blocks. Even the longarm work which I paid for is not consistent. I am hoping people will be kind.

Jane Quilter 07-02-2019 01:47 PM

watson, your work is spectacular. Hold your head high and accept compliments graciously, because they will be coming your way if/when you go "public". A sincere fan, Jane Q

GingerK 07-02-2019 02:36 PM

There are quite a few of your quiltingboard fans that live 'near' you. Could you please specify which LQS you will be teaching? I would dearly love to take your class if it's not too far away.....

I have just started doing a little teaching at an LQS and I will say that it is intimidating-- more so in trying to gauge how much info to give how quickly--than actually telling people how to do something (Surprisingly, I quite enjoy getting paid to do that!!:D) There are some that want minute instruction and never even look at the pattern-spoon feeding. Others have learned that reading the pattern and understanding the why is just as important as learning the how. Good luck! Awww heck! You'll be great!!

Tartan 07-02-2019 02:41 PM

You do good work but it is natural to be a bit nervous in your first teaching opportunity.

TheMerkleFamily 07-02-2019 02:56 PM

Another sincere fan here. My thoughts are if your fish finished half as nicely as your horse (avatar) then you have no worries whatsoever! Now I'm trying to remember if I saw your fish collage posted on here or not?

Having said that, I think we all (regardless of our skill level) feel exposed when presenting our work which will naturally be judged by others. But I agree with your thought that it's art that we should be proud of - period.

I have an idea! How about a QB arranged collage challenge where you practice presenting to us?? I would pay for that online class :)

Best of luck with your classes!

Christine