Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Q regarding variegated thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/q-regarding-variegated-thread-t197279.html)

jgriinke 08-13-2012 04:35 AM

I like to use a varigated thread on top, but on the bottom, I like to use Bottom Line. It is really thin and disappears into the back. I also like to use busy backing fabric. I guess I figure that the thread on the top is the one that I want to show off. Also, the varigated threads are expensive, why use them on the back?

jcrow 08-13-2012 05:23 AM

My sewing machine does not like varigated thread. I have tons of it and can't use it. I should give it to my LAer. But my machine is so very picky when it comes to thread. It only likes Gutermann cones.

captlynhall 08-13-2012 05:34 AM

I have always liked multi colors so variegated thread is great. I don't use it all over, or all the time, but do use it as as accent. I hand quilt, and with all the work, I want my stitches to show sometimes. Although right now I am quilting one that I'm using #12 needles to give me small stitches and matching thread for each section, so none of the stitches will show. I think it just depends on the look you want.

jitkaau 08-13-2012 06:27 AM

If you have a plain back it would be best , as a beginner, to try to put the bobbin colour as one that will blend with the colours of the back. Try to get the same brand and weight as the varigated one.

rush88888 08-13-2012 06:54 AM

perhaps you could try out what you want to do on a small piece of fabric - top, bottom and batting. it will give you an idea about how the project would look. then you can decide.

carslo 08-13-2012 06:59 AM

I love that type of thread, I only use it for the top and find that with my machine I need a huge needle - Singer 110 and a very fine bobbin thread. If I had known these two facts I would most likely still be sewing on a my Elna and not have had thought at needed a new and fancier Viking. Oh well :). Good luck.

chris_quilts 08-13-2012 07:55 AM

I love the look a variegated thread gived to a quilt so I use variegated all the time for the top or the bottom or for both. It depends upon what the quilt tells me would look best and the fabrics that have been used in the quilt. I have one that needs to be sandwiched and quilted that will not have variegated on the bottom, I think, unless DD asks for it because the bottom is a solid color. However, that doesn't stop me from using variegated thread either.
Chris

purplefiend 08-13-2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5433423)
When I make my Quilts of Valor, I usually always use my red/white/blue varigated thread.....I think it all depends on the quilt pattern and the fabric used. Because this thread can sometimes be a little expensive, I always use a simple thread that matches my backing color so it kinda disappears....

I do the same with my Quilts of Valor. I love using varigated threads on my other quilts too.

Dee 08-13-2012 07:45 PM

I use variegated thread most of the time. For items that will show in back-I use it in the bobbin. Otherwise I use bobbin thread and variegated on spool.

chuckbere15 08-13-2012 08:55 PM

I am using variegated thread on a blue, green and purple batik quilt. The color of the thread are in blues from dark to light. I'm using the same in the bobin as the backing is blue. So far, it's looking awesome! Two more rows to quilt and then the borders. I'll post pictures when I'm done, but FMQ quilting kills my arm, MS in right arm prevents me from doing a lot in one day - pushing and pulling a queen size gives the shoulders a work out. I'm using 50 weight in both top and bottom - makes it easier to adjust the tension.

When it comes down to it, it's your quilt and use/do what you like. Also, I like to hang the quilt and take a couple of steps backwards. Putting a couple of feet between you and the quilt will give you a different perspective than standing over top of it.

I have never seen a quilt that I didn't appreciate the creators artistic abilities! The amount of blood, sweat, and tears that we quilters pour into our craft allows us to grow a artist.