Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Q. for those who baste on a Q-Snap floor frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/q-those-who-baste-q-snap-floor-frame-t268663.html)

EasyPeezy 08-11-2015 03:48 PM

Q. for those who baste on a Q-Snap floor frame

What the easiest way of putting a quilt on that frame?
I thought it was going to be easypeasy but it's not. It keeps sliding.
I was thinking of getting some rachet clamps but I'm open to suggestions.
I usually baste medium size quilts...about 33"x33" on the Q-snap.

mike'sgirl 08-11-2015 05:32 PM

I have that frame and what I usually do is get it going by clamping one side and clamping them one by one until are all clamped. Then I go back and tighten them to where I want them. Hope this makes sense.

tessagin 08-11-2015 07:02 PM

wondered how it worked.

Onebyone 08-12-2015 07:25 AM

I do the same as mike'sgirl. I don't see any other way to do it. Lot of you tube videos how to use the frame. I used it to baste quilts not hand quilt.

nativetexan 08-12-2015 12:05 PM

do your top bar pieces that snap over the quilt frames have ribbing inside? they should if it's a Q Snap. they should help keep it from sliding. now is your quilt done with poly batting? that may make it a bit more difficult to snap into place.

EasyPeezy 08-12-2015 12:42 PM

Like I said I baste smaller quilts on the Q-Snap...so they tend to fall when I'm trying to
load them on the frame. Yesterday I solved that problem by tying a thread across...
North to South and another thread East to West. After snapping everything in place
I cut those threads before basting. It also helped to put a pin at the North, South,
East and West points.

Onebyone 08-12-2015 12:55 PM

I don't see how it can fall if you snap one side to the frame, and then pull the other side to snap it in place. Then snap the other two sides then adjust by turning the grippers to set the tension on the quilt. My gripper strips are ribbed and hold very tight. Is your fame Q Snap brand?

EasyPeezy 08-12-2015 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7284588)
I don't see how it can fall if you snap one side to the frame, and then pull the other side to snap it in place. Then snap the other two sides then adjust by turning the grippers to set the tension on the quilt. My gripper strips are ribbed and hold very tight. Is your fame Q Snap brand?

Yes, it's Q-snap. Maybe I'm just clumsy. LOL
I can see how it would be easier to put a larger quilt on that frame.
But the size I make is plus/minus the size of the frame so there's is
not enough fabric/batting weight on the sides to keep it from falling.
I don't know. At least the thread solved that problem. I'm going to
get some ratchet clamps and see if it helps to get the whole thing
centered then put the Q-snaps on.

lots2do 08-23-2015 05:13 PM

Could you baste some fabric all the way around to make it work better? Just thinking out loud, here.

Peckish 08-23-2015 06:17 PM

Hey, that's an idea, leaders for your Q-snap! :thumbup: