Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QAYG Isn't Hard! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qayg-isnt-hard-t291969.html)

Watson 10-19-2017 05:42 AM

QAYG Isn't Hard!

I just finished the last class of my Westalee Rulers series last night and it was putting together all your sampler pieces. I was worried because I'd never done QAYG. In fact, I had avoided it as it looked difficult.
It wasn't hard at all!
I'll be using this technique more from now on!

Watson

Maggie_Sue 10-19-2017 06:13 AM

I would love to see a photo of your quilt!!!

DJ 10-19-2017 06:17 AM

What QAYG technique did you use? How long was the class? That would be a great one to take!

Jane Quilter 10-19-2017 06:27 AM

It's hard for me to handle large quilts anymore. In fact, I may have made my last one, I use QAYG a lot. They really turn out nice, don't they? Please share your Westalee Ruler Quilt with us, in progress, may help others see how it goes together.

Tartan 10-19-2017 07:56 AM

​QAYG is fun until it's time to sew the strips to cover the back seams. If you don't mind that part, then go for it.

Kassaundra 10-19-2017 08:00 AM

That is one of many, many QAYG techniques. If you don't like that one (which I do not) choose another technique.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7927495)
​QAYG is fun until it's time to sew the strips to cover the back seams. If you don't mind that part, then go for it.

ArtsyOne 10-19-2017 08:38 AM

Ooooh - I only know about the method using strips to cover the back seams and would love to know about easier methods. That's the only reason I haven't done a QAYG.

Watson 10-19-2017 09:42 AM

This method had strips to cover the back seams as well. You could hand sew them or you could machine sew them. I chose to machine sew, as I am just doing this as a dog bed, and it turned out quite well. If I were doing an actual quilt I'd have to hand sew it.

I'd be interested in how you do it without having to sew the back.

The class was 7 weeks, each class was about 3 hours long and there was homework.
You take a memory stick with you that the instructor puts all the videos on so you can view them at home while you do the homework.

Watson

Irishrose2 10-19-2017 11:14 AM

It's been a long time, but the method I used was done by cutting the backing larger than the front. Quilt all three layers except a narrow strip on the edges. Sew just the front and batting together using the unquilted edges, one row at a time - leave the backing free from this stitching. Now fold the extra on the back to the seam line and hand sew it. I think I trimmed one edge to reduce bulk. Finish all the rows, the sew them together in the same way. The only long seams hand sewn are these last ones - the first are only the length of the block, so it's not too cumbersome and you only have one edge to hand sew, not both like adding a separate strip. I did a log cabin this way.

humbird 10-19-2017 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 7927592)
It's been a long time, but the method I used was done by cutting the backing larger than the front. Quilt all three layers except a narrow strip on the edges. Sew just the front and batting together using the unquilted edges, one row at a time - leave the backing free from this stitching. Now fold the extra on the back to the seam line and hand sew it. I think I trimmed one edge to reduce bulk. Finish all the rows, the sew them together in the same way. The only long seams hand sewn are these last ones - the first are only the length of the block, so it's not too cumbersome and you only have one edge to hand sew, not both like adding a separate strip. I did a log cabin this way.

This is the way I have done QAYG but wasn't sure how to describe the process! I also did a log cabin this way. Was quite simple to do.