Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QB Scrap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qb-scrap-t203563.html)

Tashana 10-18-2012 09:19 AM

QB Scrap

3 Attachment(s)
Since i joined the QB I learned so much from all of you. Thank you! For this reason, I made a quilt called QB Scrap in which I applied everything I learned from this board

- If you are using cotton fabrics together with poly/cotton blend wash the cotton fabric first even if you are not a pre-washer. Otherwise the cotton will shrink, the poly blend will not and you will end up with weird looking quilt, squished in some places, and stretched in others.
- Learn from your (or my) mistakes, do not buy poly blend even if it is $0.99 yard
- No piece of fabric is too small to save and use in another project (and I am not a hoarder)
- Sew scraps on the cashier tape and use as strips in other projects.
- Strips do not have to be even to be used in quilts
- Quilting police does not exist - I am the living proof of it
- Thereis no such a thing as ugly fabric. You just may have to cut it in small pieces to like it
- FMQis fun! There is no rule that says that in meandering lines cannot cross.
-
Save your knees, use Elmer’s school glue for basting AND dry it with iron, otherwise you may end up with a UFO
-
Spraystarch is your best friend
- When sewing strips, change directions all the time or you WILL end up with bowedstrips. In that case use the spray starch
- Batting counts! I used to buy the cheapest, nastiest bagged batting in existence and then I took your advice (and 60% off coupon) and bought Warm and Natural and never looked back.
-
2.5”binding strips look good and it is easier to attach them at the back
-
Finishing binding by hand makes you quilt look awesome
-
When mitering the corners, DO leave that 1/4” unstitched after you fold, or you corners will not be mitered
- Walkaway from your quilt if you are frustrated or get a really good seam ripper and prepare to join the frog quire – rip-it, rip-it!
- If a quilt is not your cup of tea (like this one for example) take into account that we all have different ways of expressing our creativity.
-
Appliqué is great for covering oups! areas
-
Log cabin, is not as easy as it looks, and not as hard as you may think
- Sign your quilts with Pigma pen

- It is possible to load pictures on QB….I am sure of it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370776[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370778[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370779[/ATTACH]

MTS 10-18-2012 09:25 AM

Well, it's certainly my cup of tea!!

Bright, happy, colorful, abstract.
What's not to love??!?!?!?!?

QuiltnNan 10-18-2012 09:26 AM

thanks for sharing... the quilt looks good to me

BellaBoo 10-18-2012 09:38 AM

Batting counts! I used to buy the cheapest, nastiest bagged batting in existence

So many do this with all sewing notions and tools not ever knowing how bad the cheap stuff really is.

quilt addict 10-18-2012 09:46 AM

What a great quilt a a wonderful synopsis of what the great value of being part of the QB. I will take that quilt off your hands if you really don't want that cup of tea.

KatFish 10-18-2012 09:59 AM

I love your quilt! What fun fabrics! I have also learned so much from the QB. There just wasn't anybody else who quilted in our area to learn from.

Twisted Quilter 10-18-2012 10:04 AM

Love your quilt, and thanks for the reminders! :thumbup:

Tartan 10-18-2012 10:04 AM

​Great quilt and we all learn lots from each other!

Mariposa 10-18-2012 10:18 AM

What a fun quilt! Nicely done, and thanks for sharing all the tips! :)

Lori S 10-18-2012 10:42 AM

Great to see all of your "listening" in your quilt. Its wonderful.