Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QOV (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qov-t27261.html)

Edie 10-18-2009 03:40 AM

I have been familiar with Quilting Board since the middle of September and so I am probably out of the loop here, but I need some information. I have just heard about QOV, Quilts of Valor, made for wounded soldiers in Afghanistan and/or Iraq. I want desperately to make a few quilts for these soldiers and I am wondering if any of you have made one or if I am the first one. The website mentioned patriotic blocks and I am thinking of Minnesota and things that are familiar to Minnesotans. We have a lot of soldiers overseas and if I could just bring a little home to them, I would love to do that. I would like to put in the woods, lakes, fish, football, baseball, flowers, Christmas tree, a house, stuff like that. I am wondering if this would be acceptable. The website said also that fabric shops give a discount on the fabric you buy for these quilts, which would help me greatly (we're retired). If any of you have done the QOV or are interested, could you let me know. Also, I would like a quilt to go to a Minnesotan so he/she could identify with the meaning of the quilt. "Home is Where the Heart is". That would be my title and the house block would be my center block.

Am I out in left field some place or is this something I can really sink my teeth into. Thanks for any help you can give me. Edie :D

patricej 10-18-2009 06:12 AM

this is a link to their website.

http://qovf.org/index.php?option=com...age&Itemid=149

you could also donate directly to the veterans' hospital in minneapolis, or to one of the many VA clinics in your state.

Edie 10-18-2009 06:43 AM

Thank you so very much. The VA hospital is just across the river from us (Mississippi). That I will do! Edie

dlf0122quilting 10-19-2009 07:57 AM

That is a wonderful idea for a quilt. I agree that if you want to make sure it goes to a Minnesotan, you should donate it locally at the VA hospital. You could also check with the Guard Unit in Minneapolis and see if there is an ombudsman who could direct you. Or you can go online and find a local quilt guild that might be doing them. The local quilt shops sometimes host groups that make QOV's. I was originally from Southern Minnesota and I still have 2 children and their families living there in Mankato and Pine Island so I get there a couple times a year. Good luck.

Edie 10-19-2009 11:37 AM

Thank you diffo! I really appreciated all the help given me. Edie

MNQuilter 10-19-2009 12:00 PM

ER-
I think that Calla Lily Quilts in Blaine makes quilt for QOV. I thought I just saw something about it on their website. If you google Calla Lily Quilt shop, you should find it under clubs I think.

dlf0122quilting 10-19-2009 12:42 PM

My last trip to Mn in Aug. I visited a wonderful shop just of 42 and 13, don't remember the name but they were extremely helpful. You might do a google search for quilt shops in your area. They were a part of the quilt run in Aug.

Edie 10-19-2009 02:09 PM

The shop I take my quilting to is Quilt Yourself. There was a quilt store two doors down. Sold all kinds of fabric and stuff - they closed down. Quilt Yourself has expanded now. I can't figure out why the quilt stores are closing, but more people are making quilts. Would I be xcorrect is assuming that that shop you mentioned on 42 was in Shakopee? That's my d-in-l's favorite shop.

I will give it a shot and see what it says. Thank you ever so. Edie

Edie 10-19-2009 02:21 PM

I checked Calla Lily - I would love to do an Underground Quilt. I find it so interesting. There are so many things I want to do. I also found out that several shops will discount fabric for a QOV. That would help. I have decided for sure it will be the "Floating Star" block! Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to quilt I go.

Just finished battening down the hatches in the yard. Covered the grapevines, the hydrangea, Sweet Autumn Clematis and brought in all the ticky tacky and now it can snow. I ache all over, so sitting at the machine will calm me down. Have a good evening! Edie

quilter1962 10-19-2009 02:33 PM

ER

We also do something similar over here on the pond. Infact I have been to our monthly meeting tonight & we were given a breakdown of the visit to Headley Court last week by one of our ladies. She was approached by a young man being pushed in a wheelchair by a nurse with no lower limbs & one arm. He asked for a quilt to be placed on his bed which of course she did. She told us he was so very very grateful to all of us ladies as with the quilt on his bed he felt as if he was at home & not in hospital as he knew it had been made with love.
I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

With regards to some ideas we have just agreed that there will be a certain amount of quilts made with their regiment badges or section crests embroidered or appliqued onto the quilts. As many of the men that are injured are either the Royal Marines or the Paracute Regiment. Also specific colours too that relate to there uniforms.
Every single one of our quilts that are taken in person are appreciated so very much by these young men, these are then adventually taken home with them when they are discharged from hospital.

We have been making quilts that grow quickly, the majority of the ladies in our group are like yourself retired & sew for Britain LOL, all day long. They do an excellent job. Normally they choose patterns that grow quickly.
I shall take some pictures for you when the next batch are brought to the meeting.

Tisha