Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   QOVs are NOT "Charity" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qovs-not-%22charity%22-quilts-t61160.html)

Dingle 08-24-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Maybe I missed the point??? I dont get it.

I think I did too. What exactly are you saying?

ScubaK 08-24-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Would we not also use and do our best on charity quilts as well?

One would hope so...

feline fanatic 08-25-2010 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Would we not also use and do our best on charity quilts as well?

Not to stir up a hornets nest but I have seen many, many posts here where posters write about needing an inexpensive source for fabric because they do so many charity quilts. Statements like this usually show up on endless threads about walmart and joanne quality fabric vs LQS quality fabric. I believe it may be these kind of posts that prompted the statement. QOV criteria is pretty stringent and I have seen a few posts complaining about that as well, such as insisting QOV quilts be longarmed as opposed to handquilted or machine quilted on a DSM, although most longarmers who do them donate their services as well.

Jannie 08-25-2010 10:52 AM

If I received quilt that was hand quilted, I would think I was in hog heaven. Don't get me wrong, longarmed quilts are beautiful, but there is something about hand quilting that is amazing. As long as the quilts are good quality & good workmanship, I can't believe they wouldn't want them. Our servicemen do deserve the best we can give.

akrogirl 08-25-2010 11:10 AM

That doesn't make sense to me either. I have seen some mediocre LA quilting and some beautiful quilting done by hand or on a regular machine. Yes, there are some absolutely phenomenal long-armers out there, but LA doesn't automatically equate to better - it certainly wouldn't if I were to attempt it right now, lol. I wonder what the thinking is on this?

seamstome 08-25-2010 11:23 AM

So let me get this, if I send non-LQS fabric in (that I have spent my hard earned money on) or I VOLUNTEER my time to quilt one of these QOV's that's not good enough to show my appreciation. Well then I guess put me down as a non-patroitic.

Cat18 08-26-2010 06:32 PM

Whoa! slow down! My only point was that they shouldn't be called "charity" quilts because their purpose is to acknowledge and honor service in the best way we know how -- with an heirloom-quality quilt!
…And I'm not demeaning charity quilts at all! I LOVE making children's quilts and if I didn’t have ways to donate them, I’d be very disappointed.
…And I’m not berating Wal-mart or Joanne’s! I was saddened when my Wal-mart closed their fabric department!

MagicGadget 10-07-2010 06:21 AM

QoVF quilts don't HAVE to be long-armed. Many people prefer not to quilt their quilt on their smaller machines, so Catherine has arranged for longarmers to be available. June coordinates them.

fabric_fancy 10-07-2010 07:03 AM

the definition of "charity" is

Charity, the practice of benevolent giving,

how are QOV not charity - the person who made them was in the practice of benevolent giving.

DebraK 10-07-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
the definition of "charity" is

Charity, the practice of benevolent giving,

how are QOV not charity - the person who made them was in the practice of benevolent giving.

Exactly. I don't know why the word charity has a negative connotation.