Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quandary over the way it's coming together... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quandary-over-way-its-coming-together-t195799.html)

WTxRed 07-26-2012 06:13 AM

Quandary over the way it's coming together...

My son asked for a black and white quilt - which I eagerly looked forward to. Knew which pattern I was going to use and carefully went and selected 20 different black and white fabrics. I've got my blocks made and up on my design wall and now... I'm just not feeling it. It's got entirely too much white in it - it went from a black and white to a white and black.
And now I'm not even loving the pattern anymore either which is weird because I loved making the blocks.

I'm at work so I don't have a picture to post.

My quandary is whether
1) to try to salvage the blocks, by replacing some of the white with more black.
2) finish it like it is and give him first choice at it
3) finish it and give it to a charity (it is a queen size, I guess I could make 2 cuddle quilts since the blocks are not sewn together yet)

I'm not the type to set it aside and come back to it later thinking maybe I'll feel different about it.

I'm sure that others may've experienced the same thing.
Thanks in advance for any tidbits of wisdom you can share with me.

(I actually have named it already, "When life gives you lemons...")

eastermarie 07-26-2012 06:21 AM

Can you post a picture of the blocks that you have?

sandybeach 07-26-2012 06:23 AM

I oftentimes find a quilt total unappealing at this stage. But when it is all together, and especially when it is quilted, I grow to love it.
Could your son look at it at this stage and give his okay?

Tartan 07-26-2012 06:24 AM

Is it a pattern that you can add black sashing to? Black sashing may be enough with a nice black patterned border to satisfy you. You can always use a mostly black back and he can use the back if he wants a change. If the whole quilt top reads mostly white, can you appliqué a large black silhouette over the whole top? Something masculine that he is interested in like a moose/deer, motorcycle, skier etc.

kathy 07-26-2012 06:24 AM

i was the same way with the one i'm working on, in my head it was fantastic, loved making the batik blocks (southwestern) but on my design wall it was a dud. i'm not a quiter so i said "somebody" will like it i hope. so i'm putting it together and liking it better all the time. so maybe yours will grow on you, or maybe he'll like it, has he seen it?

WTxRed 07-26-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by eastermarie (Post 5395636)
Can you post a picture of the blocks that you have?

I'm at work and don't have any pics on my phone or work PC...
The people who have seen it think it's beautiful.
I don't think it's the "look" that others see - I think it's what I see vs what's in my mind's eye.
That's why I'm thinking others have been there -

WTxRed 07-26-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach (Post 5395641)
I oftentimes find a quilt total unappealing at this stage. But when it is all together, and especially when it is quilted, I grow to love it.
Could your son look at it at this stage and give his okay?

I wished - he lives about 6 hours away. I hope he gets to come visit Labor Day ... and take 'something' home with him LOL.

WTxRed 07-26-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by kathy (Post 5395649)
i was the same way with the one i'm working on, in my head it was fantastic, loved making the batik blocks (southwestern) but on my design wall it was a dud. i'm not a quiter so i said "somebody" will like it i hope. so i'm putting it together and liking it better all the time. so maybe yours will grow on you, or maybe he'll like it, has he seen it?

Piqued my curiosity on that one Kathy - any chance you have a picture to share? (I LOVE batiks, and of course, Southwestern :p )

WTxRed 07-26-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5395647)
Is it a pattern that you can add black sashing to? Black sashing may be enough with a nice black patterned border to satisfy you. You can always use a mostly black back and he can use the back if he wants a change. If the whole quilt top reads mostly white, can you appliqué a large black silhouette over the whole top? Something masculine that he is interested in like a moose/deer, motorcycle, skier etc.

I had a fleeting thought about sashing but haven't looked at that with it yet.
Thanks for the suggestions!

susiequilt 07-26-2012 06:48 AM

I agree with the black sashing. That just might be the best solution.