Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quarter Inch Seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quarter-inch-seam-t165081.html)

Jingle 11-02-2011 06:45 AM

Also make sure your cutting is consistant, whole secret is everything must be exact. I have made only about a hundred or more and am finally able to eyeball the quarter inch seam. A barrier is very helpful, watch how you put the pins. I still pin at intersections. Just keep going and you will get there.

EagarBeez 11-02-2011 06:58 AM

I share the pain. I have not quilted long. Now I am working on a log cabin, my 1st. Doing it strips, square as I go. I noticed a couple blocks don't look exactly right, but, if I work with them. I am pretty sure they will work. I am being optimistic. Are yours that far off???? You could probably manuver them in a way to work for you. Don't give up the ship

KimmieH 11-02-2011 07:01 AM

i have same "issues". tried making a block last night for guild ..spose to be 12-1/2" once complete..of course mine was 12".

not sure where my other 1/2" went!!!!!!!!!! measured my seams & they are 1/4". I use a quarter inch foot.
Guess I will stick with contemporary quilts.! im getting so frustrated LOL

Crafty1 11-02-2011 07:46 AM

I feel your pain! I have a 1/4" foot and my block are still off. Oh well I say, it's just too hard to master.

KimmieH 11-02-2011 07:51 AM

But at least you mastered how to get pretty font Crafty1!!!!! how did you do that :)

Originally Posted by Crafty1 (Post 4617721)
I feel your pain! I have a 1/4" foot and my block are still off. Oh well I say, it's just too hard to master.

LLWinston44 11-02-2011 07:52 AM

I canNOT do a 1/4" seam without my foot with a guide on it. Even then sometimes I slip up. If all your blocks are the same size, can't they still be used?

LyndaK 11-02-2011 08:27 AM

I have huge issues as well in spite of 1/4 feet, seam guides, all the goodies. I just don't have that consistency, or at least I didn't on the more modern machines. I've been using old Singers and for whatever reason, I do better. Maybe it's the speed or how the presser foot holds them, I don't know. But I'm not obsessing over it anymore. Done is better than perfect around my house. That's my new mantra!

brookemarie19 11-02-2011 08:45 AM

I have the same issue with my 1/4" seams. I think my quilts will always be a little lopsided lol, but as long as its just for family and myself I dont try to be too critical with myself.

Linda - K. 11-02-2011 08:58 AM

I have the 1/4" for each machine and that helps. BUT I went to a "Spicy Spiral" quilt class and forgot that foot but had the seam guide. Well, when I put it on didn't realize the screws weren't secure enough and was doing about a 3/8" seam. I had already done a lot of sewing so just kept it at 3/8". My table runner was smaller than the others in the class but looks okay and you'd never know I screwed up!

mucky 11-02-2011 09:53 AM

I'm sure you can fudge enough and always have the piece that's too large on the bottom.