Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quarter inch seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quarter-inch-seams-t225924.html)

mvalley 07-16-2013 05:53 AM

Quarter inch seams

Help. I am making a quilt with each block being cut to 5 and 1/4 inch blocks. Then they have a design that is appliqued on them. My problem is that when I cut the background squares and put on the applique pieces the finished block no longer measures the 5 and 1/4 inch. What can I do. I have to totally disguard some the blocks they are way off. However, some of the others are just slightly off. My question -- can I just make slightly smaller seam allowances? I could use a paper template as the background and sew the blocks together that way so that the finished block will measure correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MaryMo 07-16-2013 05:58 AM

my thoughts .... why not applique and then cut your blocks. I usually applique after the top is put together. It sounds like an interesting pattern .... maybe pictures will help?

Gramie bj 07-16-2013 06:00 AM

I would make the block bigger do my applique than trim block down to correct size.

Nammie to 7 07-16-2013 06:02 AM

I'm with Gramie bj - make your blocks bigger, applique, then trim.

irishrose 07-16-2013 06:04 AM

Yes, you can do slightly smaller seams on the completed ones - just shorten your stitch length a bit unless you already sew with a close stitch. On the next ones, applique first and cut second as mentioned.

grammy Dwynn 07-16-2013 06:08 AM

Agree with the others ~ cut bigger, applique, then trim to correct size. Good luck!

mighty 07-16-2013 07:23 AM

I also would cut bigger, applique, then trim.

mckwilter 07-16-2013 07:28 AM

If this is just for you, I'd trim the blocks you've finished to 5" square rather than discarding them. There's no sense in letting all your hard work go to waste. Then, if you make the quilt again, you will know to cut the blocks larger and trim to size after applique-ing.

FroggyinTexas 07-16-2013 07:37 AM

When I have participated in block exchanges and received blocks that were too small, I have added sashing and then trimmed the block to size. Since I am assuming that your background for each applique is the same, you could trim each block to a uniform size and sash with the background material and no one will ever know the difference. But that's only if you want the 5 and 1/4 inch block. Personally, I would just cut everything down to the same size after I put the applique on the rest of the blocks. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by mvalley (Post 6180256)
Help. I am making a quilt with each block being cut to 5 and 1/4 inch blocks. Then they have a design that is appliqued on them. My problem is that when I cut the background squares and put on the applique pieces the finished block no longer measures the 5 and 1/4 inch. What can I do. I have to totally disguard some the blocks they are way off. However, some of the others are just slightly off. My question -- can I just make slightly smaller seam allowances? I could use a paper template as the background and sew the blocks together that way so that the finished block will measure correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

quilt addict 07-16-2013 07:49 AM

Agree with the others on the options. When you have applique, it will take up some of the size of the fabric so you need to compensate for that by making it larger then cut down after applique is finished. I believe this is the same for embroidery on blocks.