Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quarter of an Inch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quarter-inch-t238184.html)

ellenmg 01-07-2014 12:16 PM

Hey don't feel bad I go wonky all the time with my stitching. I am doing a piece now that uses one inch strips. Should be interesting. Oh and my one inch half square triangles? I made them one and one half inch pieces and cut them down after sewing. ..

FroggyinTexas 01-07-2014 12:19 PM

If I don't start really watching about 2 inches from the end, I wander off so the seam is too narrow even though I always use my 1/4 foot. Then I give it a good W Texas cussing and resew the part where I started wandering. The friend who does my long arm quilting tells me this is a common problem. Not the W Texas cussing but the wandering at the end of the seam. Be patient with yourself and vent with words like geewhillikers or oh fudge if you don't know any W Texas cuss words! froggyintexas

Sandi 01-07-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by hairquilt (Post 6496598)
I couldn't get a 1/4 either so I cut a small board about 6" long & inch wide & taped it to machine next to foot. It is long & thick enough to force me to sew seam correctly. Easy to retape. You can master it. Keep trying as it will make a huge difference in your quilt blocks!!

I think I am going to try this. What a great idea!

SewSewGal 01-08-2014 11:15 AM

I use The cushioning for corns and bunnions etc. I cut it 1/2 inch wide and take the back paper off and stick it to my machine. I use a index card with 1/4 inch lines put my needle on the line and then put my Dr Shool's corn cushioning next to it. You also can use lots of layers of masking tape or put double sided tape on an old credit card. If your machine can handle a magnet use the old magnets cards you get from business. also I teach and I alway tell my students to watch where the fabric is going and not the needle. Watch the edge of your fabric. Hope this helps

SewSewGal 01-08-2014 11:18 AM

Also I use a folded piece of fabric when i start and when I end a seam this seems to help the machine nor go catty wompus.

Gannyrosie 01-08-2014 11:19 AM

sewsewgal, I like the magnet cards idea.

quiltapillow 01-08-2014 11:51 AM

Just an idea: Use a scrap of fabric under your block and sew off of it as thought it was part of the block and keep the quarter inch going.

ro 01-16-2014 04:41 PM

gotta be careful w/magnets around the computerized machines.

ro 01-16-2014 04:42 PM

for me the hint from bella boo seems to be working. thank you all very much for your input.

ro 01-30-2014 07:03 AM

BellaBoo i have been keeping my fingers on the fabric since you mentioned it. i have not had a problem w/the quarter inch. i know i've mentioned it before, but wanted to say thank you again for the tip. for me it works. and thank you everyone else who came to the rescue. you're a great bunch as always.