Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Queen Twister?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/queen-twister-t151339.html)

Kayaker26 09-08-2011 07:49 AM

I want to make a twister quilt with the 10 inch squares, but I don't know how many down and across with 1 border. Math is not my friend and y'all are so smart I thought I could cheat and ask you instead of realizing I messed it up AFTERWARDS....Thanks for the help on this and the inspiration ALWAYS!

Sewfine 09-08-2011 09:19 AM

Don't know, waiting to see what the answer is.

catmcclure 09-08-2011 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kayaker26
I want to make a twister quilt with the 10 inch squares, but I don't know how many down and across with 1 border. Math is not my friend and y'all are so smart I thought I could cheat and ask you instead of realizing I messed it up AFTERWARDS....Thanks for the help on this and the inspiration ALWAYS!

I usually make a queen quilt 100 x 100 which would be 100 squares.

I posted a tutorial for a Windmill/Little Twister pattern. You could use that to start just use 12 inch blocks of fabric instead of 8 inch. My way saves a lot of fabric.

BMP 09-08-2011 10:42 AM

If you are using the 8 inch twister square your actual blocks that start out at 10 inches end up at 8 inches. You probably can figure out from there how many you will need.

Sophie2 09-08-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kayaker26

I was searching a queen size for the same answer earlier today. Hopefully someone has made a queen and can save us some figuring.

happymrs 09-08-2011 11:10 AM

Can you post a link to your tutorial, catmcclure, I can't find it! I love your quilt in the pic too!

catmcclure 09-08-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Can you post a link to your tutorial, catmcclure, I can't find it! I love your quilt in the pic too!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112343-1.htm

That's the message. I included the entire pattern. The 8" blocks end up making about a 6-1/2" finished block. To end up with a 10" finished block, it would probably be better to start off with a 12" or larger square.

happymrs 09-08-2011 01:48 PM

Thank you for posting the link again, I bookmarked it! I will have to play with it. It would be neat to do a small one, using charm squares! Just not sure how far to mark in from each corner? Is there an easy method to determine this, for whatever size block you choose to start out with? Math is not that great for me, lol, but I do love patterns like this, & thank you for sharing your no waste technique!...

catmcclure 09-08-2011 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by happymrs
Thank you for posting the link again, I bookmarked it! I will have to play with it. It would be neat to do a small one, using charm squares! Just not sure how far to mark in from each corner? Is there an easy method to determine this, for whatever size block you choose to start out with? Math is not that great for me, lol, but I do love patterns like this, & thank you for sharing your no waste technique!...

If you're using charm squares, print out the template and trim 1-1/2" from each side so you're left with a 5" square template.

Simple solution to enlarge the block is to print out the template then tape it onto a larger piece of paper. Measure around the template and draw the new size out. Then just extend the cutting lines.

I used a 30degree cut. On an 8" block the line starts 1-3/4" from the top left corner to 1-3/4" from the bottom right right corner. On a 10" block the measurement is 2". On a 12" block the measurement would be 2-1/2".

happymrs 09-08-2011 06:18 PM

Great info, thanks!