Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-applique-t34633.html)

Sharon - NC 01-20-2010 08:35 AM

I'm getting ready to start an applique project. I've never done any applique, but I've been reading up on it and checking out the tutorials on here and some you-tube videos. I think I'm going to use the freezer paper method but wanted to ask those of you who applique:

a) which method do you prefer, and why?

2) when using fusible web, do you turn the edges under?

Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to get started ... I feel like a kid playing paper dolls as I plan my Sunbonnet Sues.

charismah 01-20-2010 08:57 AM

When I use fusible applique..I do not turn the edges over....that is supposed to hold the fabric and then I just stitch around whether it is on the long arm...or on my machine ( if it is a block or something smaller) both of those things keep the edges from fraying.

Sharon - NC 01-20-2010 09:10 AM

Thanks, Charisma. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

cindyg 01-20-2010 09:39 AM

I prefer the light-weight fusible interfacing method. I either hand stitch my applique down or do a blanket stitch around it with my sewing machine.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-20-2010 09:43 AM

I use the fusible web and then satin stitch around the edge. Blanket stitch is prettier, but I'm paranoid about fraying.

amma 01-20-2010 10:53 AM

I like fusible applique, it is faster than hand turned.
I blanket stitch around my pieces, the shorter stitches help prevent fraying :D:D:D

Deb watkins 01-20-2010 11:15 AM

Hi Sharon - I use the fusible web, and depending on the piece, either satin stitch or a blanket stitch.

Moonpi 01-20-2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I use the fusible web and then satin stitch around the edge. Blanket stitch is prettier, but I'm paranoid about fraying.

I run a teensy bit of fray-check along the raw edges before ironing it down and blanket stitching. I used to satin stitch, but it was always hard for me to estimate how much threada it was going to take.

MadQuilter 01-20-2010 12:33 PM

I like to use the steam-a-seam2 to do fusible web and use a blanket stitch or something like it to secure the piece.

When I hand applique, I don't know that I have a named method. I usually turn under a portion of the seam, pin it with tiny applique pins and sew the seam. Nothing fancy.

Baywatch quilter 01-20-2010 01:43 PM

What method you choose depends on the project and whether you prefer hand sewing or machine. I have done: reverse applique by hand, needle turn, fusible and zig zag or blanket edges.. or satin stitch .. or straight line quilting along the edges, freezer paper with machine zig zag, freezer paper with machine blanket, fusible with hand blanket. And probably others as well. Choose the method that makes you happy and go for it. :mrgreen: