Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-backing-t187883.html)

Tallulah 05-02-2012 10:58 AM

question about backing

Ok, can I use the fabric on the back crosswise instead of up and down. I will have to add a border at the top and bottom of the backing to get it to the right size. If I use it lengthwise, the extra will have to be on the edges up and down and not very wide and be of a coordinating fabric. I hope that this is clear. Help me, please.

Tallulah 05-02-2012 11:00 AM

Forgot to mention, this is a baby quilt that is about 47" square.

Scissor Queen 05-02-2012 11:08 AM

Make the backing which ever way it works. The only thing I do is try not to have a seam in the center. I have done backings both ways.

ckcowl 05-02-2012 11:11 AM

you can use it in any direction you want- it does not make a difference- we often cut our fabrics & seam horizontally instead of vertically--being a long-arm quilter i prefer them to be pieced in that direction- they load up smooth & flat instead of a vertical seam building bulk in the center as the quilt is rolled up on the take up roller.
but people piece their quilt backs in all kinds of manners- what ever works to achieve the back you want- it is your project to make as you want.

Annie68 05-02-2012 11:37 AM

I do it the way you are asking about frequently, all works fine.

:)

jcrow 05-02-2012 11:41 AM

One of the first things I was taught by my sister when I started quilting was to never put your seam down the middle of the backing. No one has never repeated that until Scissor Queen stated that. Thank you Scissor Queen.

Painiacs 05-02-2012 12:34 PM

Easy way to make wide fabric. Sew two pieced of fabric together then sew other seam closed into tube. Match the sewed seams together press holding fabric taunt cut on one of folds. Try it on scrap piece

Jingle 05-02-2012 01:34 PM

If I make a baby quilt or crib quilt, I use as big a piece as I can and put borders around it to make it big enough.

thimblebug6000 05-02-2012 03:09 PM

ALSO.... if you are thinking of putting this quilt into a Show or competition, please check their requirements/suggestions. In the years that machine quilting was first becoming "popular" there was alot of discussion about what was acceptable etc. What I prefer to do, is run the whole WOF down the center & build out blocks or rows until the backing is large enough. I have just purchased a huge backing for a large quilt top.... hopefully I won't be having to "add" to it.

wesing 05-02-2012 06:26 PM

If you're feeling adventurous you could try the diagonal method. I haven't figured out how to post a link with this tablet but if you search for Renota's quilt there is a link in that post about how to do it. It is really easy and a baby quilt is a perfect one to start with.

Darren