Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-batiks-t260400.html)

alapoint3 01-27-2015 07:15 PM

question about batiks

I have quite a few beautiful batik fat quarters which I would like to use in a lap quilt. Is it a good idea to mix them with calico type cottons? Should they be used alone with a plain background? I don't mean this to be a quilt police question but rather how to get a feeling of movement and depth. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Leslie333 01-27-2015 07:29 PM

I like to use batiks with batiks, but that's just me. I think they would look good with solids as well. Part of my reasoning is that it seems like batiks tend to be a tighter weave and I like to have my fabrics be more consistent in terms of shrinking and wear.

nativetexan 01-27-2015 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you don't have to mix them unless you just happen to have other colors you want to include. mostly batiks go with batiks so well, it's just them used.

Bjbaxter 01-27-2015 07:45 PM

I have used them successfully with other cotton quilting fabrics, I like the tone on tone fabrics with them.

Irishrose2 01-27-2015 07:46 PM

I have no trouble adding batiks to other fabrics, up to 50/50. Most of them are great blenders. I did not like only adding a few regular cottons to a batik quilt. They stood out for some reason.

Lori S 01-27-2015 08:12 PM

I think mixing is dependent on what your batiks look like and what you are looking to mix. Like any fabric , some go together and some don't. As for mixing because of the tighter weave of batik,... not an issue.

kristijoy 01-27-2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bjbaxter (Post 7066884)
I have used them successfully with other cotton quilting fabrics, I like the tone on tone fabrics with them.

I've definitely done this. The tone on tones can pull out the more subtle colors in the batiks, but not make the whole quilt to mushy. I personally prefer quilts with a bit more contrast and definition so I personally don't make a quilt with all batiks. This is, though, a personal choice... I've seen amazing quilts with all batiks, so it depends on the look you are going for.

katier825 01-28-2015 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mix them frequently. What ever works for the color mix. Here are some I've done that mix batiks and cotton quilting fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507917[/ATTACH]

ckcowl 01-28-2015 03:15 AM

I mix batiks into almost every quilt I make, seldom make an * all batik* quilt. I use them to blend, sometimes they are appliques, sometimes backgrounds. Use them anyway you want. They are simply more cotton fabric to add to your quilt.

NJ Quilter 01-28-2015 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 7066900)
I think mixing is dependent on what your batiks look like and what you are looking to mix. Like any fabric , some go together and some don't. As for mixing because of the tighter weave of batik,... not an issue.

I agree with this thought process as well. I've never had a problem with the weave of one vs the other in the same quilt being combined.