Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-batiks-t268759.html)

julie 08-14-2015 12:25 PM

question about batiks

I don't normally use batiks in my quilts, so I don't know if this is normal. I bought 3 yds. of a teal batik, to use in a baby quilt. I washed the batik with Color Catchers, and they came out colored. In total, I washed the fabric 5 times, and the Color Catchers are still coming out with color. The orange batik that I washed separately came out fine, no color on the Color Catchers. I used a warm wash/cold rinse setting on both. I'm very leary about using the teal fabric since it's still bleeding. I'm concerned that it will bleed when the quilt is done, and Mommy has to wash it the first time baby spits up on it. I bought the fabric at a reputable quilt shop, it cost over $11 a yard. Is it normal for a batik to keep bleeding? Is it too late to try Retayne, as the bottle says to use it before the fabric has been washed. Should I put this fabric away, and try to find another teal fabric. I was really excited to start the quilt this weekend, and now I'm very hesitant. thanks for your help.

tessagin 08-14-2015 12:53 PM

Just the other day I had some green that I washed in hot water and couple color catchers again along with a white terry cloth towel. Still came out with some color on it. Took it into my bathroom and hit it with my handheld til it ran clear. Threw it back in the washer on hot with color catcher and another white towel. Came clear. Threw everything in the dryer and still clear and dry. My washer has 2 rinse cycles and I use them. I don't buy as many batiks but I still prewash everything and happens to some of the other cottons as well.

ckcowl 08-14-2015 01:49 PM

Deep saturated color batiks sometimes do bleed quite a bit. I would either keep washing it until its done or replace it. Blues, reds and purples seem to be the ones that have the most excess dye.

Peckish 08-14-2015 02:32 PM

Stop wasting water by washing multiple times, and simply soak it in your bathtub full of hot water & a dab of detergent overnight. Most modern washers are water savers and do not use enough water to be helpful with dye removal.

toverly 08-14-2015 02:43 PM

Good advice Peckish, I am a batiks girl and frequently soak my fabrics in a hot bath if they keep bleeding. If they won't stop bleeding I use them with similar colors like blues and greens. I am leery of using a white with batiks.

Snooze2978 08-15-2015 08:43 AM

Had a couple batiks in my last quilt that started bleeding when I dunked them into my starch solution. YIKES!!!! I pulled them out and took them to my bathroom sink, ran hot water, soaked them, changed the water a couple times and then threw in some vinegar as I heard vinegar will set the color. Think I heard also the blue Dawn dish soap will set the color too but haven't tried it yet.

coopah 08-16-2015 06:02 AM

I have washed a teal batik (maybe we bought the same one) way over TEN times with Color Catchers. The fabric is now more grey than teal. That's why I don't buy batiks often. My teal batik will be turned into kitty hammocks for the Humane Society. BTW, I paid dearly...it was from a quilt store...just sayin'.
Vinegar didn't set the color, nor did blue Dawn.

julie 08-16-2015 07:34 AM

I ended up returning the fabric, the quilt shop owner was very nice about it. I found a different fabric, not a batik, that will work. I don't think I'll be buying batiks again.

rjwilder 08-16-2015 07:49 AM

I buy a lot of batiks, I don't wash them. I soak them in very hot water for hours or overnight. Rinse and repeat. The washing machines don't wash them long enough. If you have a soak option on your machine that works well instead of the sick or bathtub. I used that once and forgot I was soaking fabric. Out of site out of mind.

GingerK 08-16-2015 08:08 AM

I also do not 'wash' but use as hot water as I can stand and if it is still running after a couple of bowls full, I soak it in water with epsom salts and vinegar for a while and then rinse. Have had good luck with that.