Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about bias (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-bias-t59025.html)

carol45 08-11-2010 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached picture from EQ7 shows a design for a lined zippered bag that will be about 21" x 14", and will have the same piecing on both sides.
Can someone comment on if it makes a difference whether I cut the strips on the bias or straight of grain, and which would be preferable.
Thanks,
Carol

zipper will be at the top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95734[/ATTACH]

Scissor Queen 08-11-2010 08:32 PM

If you cut the strip on the bias your edges will all be straight grain. If you cut the strips on the straight of grain your edges will all be bias. I'd cut them on the bias so my edges had straight of grain.

carol45 08-11-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
If you cut the strip on the bias your edges will all be straight grain. If you cut the strips on the straight of grain your edges will all be bias. I'd cut them on the bias so my edges had straight of grain.

will that make it keep its shape better? what's the benefit of having the edges on the straight of grain?

lab fairy 08-11-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by carol45

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

will that make it keep its shape better? what's the benefit of having the edges on the straight of grain?

There will be less overall distortion when you sew. Bias edges are notorious for stretching.

bearisgray 08-11-2010 08:39 PM

The edges will be more stable (less stretchy)

carol45 08-11-2010 08:41 PM

OK. Now I know why, and will have my sides on the straight of grain. I know I can always get my questions answered on this great list!
Thanks!

Sadiemae 08-11-2010 08:41 PM

I think if I were making this purse I would sew my strips on a piece of cheap muslin as a foundation. It would be a little sturdier and have a little more body. Just a thought.

carol45 08-11-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think if I were making this purse I would sew my strips on a piece of cheap muslin as a foundation. It would be a little sturdier and have a little more body. Just a thought.

Do you think that would eliminate the stretching problem if I did have bias on the edges? My problem is that I will need a lot more fabric if I cut the strips along the edges.

Prism99 08-11-2010 08:51 PM

I would starch the fabric before cutting, cut on the straight-of-grain, sew the strips together, starch again, and then trim to the correct dimensions. Starch is necessary to stabilize the fabric so that the bias edges do not stretch out of shape and distort.

This would be my preference over cutting bias strips. It's possible to sew a bias edge to a bias edge, but only if you have heavily starched the fabric (1:1 starch:water proportions) before cutting the strips. It's better to sew straight-of-grain strips together, and then have to deal with the bias only on the outer edges. Since this is a purse, the edges do not have to match up to another block and trimming (if a bias edge stretches) will not cut off any points or other important pattern elements.

carol45 08-11-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would starch the fabric before cutting, cut on the straight-of-grain, sew the strips together, starch again, and then trim to the correct dimensions. Starch is necessary to stabilize the fabric so that the bias edges do not stretch out of shape and distort.

This would be my preference over cutting bias strips. It's possible to sew a bias edge to a bias edge, but only if you have heavily starched the fabric (1:1 starch:water proportions) before cutting the strips. It's better to sew straight-of-grain strips together, and then have to deal with the bias only on the outer edges.

Since this is a purse, the edges do not have to match up to another block and trimming (if a bias edge stretches) will not cut off any points or other important pattern elements.

but will the edges tend to stretch after the bag is sewn together?