Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-binding-t238155.html)

chamby 01-05-2014 05:58 AM

question about binding

I have tried several times to figure out how to make my binding end up wider on my quilts. I have cut it wider and I have sewn a wider seam than 1\4 inch. I have even sewn it to the back and brought it to the front. I do not like sewing my binding totally by machine so the fold to front method is not for me. Can anyone help me with this matter? Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Scissor Queen 01-05-2014 06:12 AM

How wide do you want it? One of the store owners here cuts hers at 3 inches and uses a half inch seam allowance to sew it on.

QuiltnNan 01-05-2014 06:39 AM

the thing to remember if you are sewing your binding on with more than 1/4" seam allowance is that you might be cutting off part of your block if you did not allow extra fabric on the outside edges.

PaperPrincess 01-05-2014 06:48 AM

OK, now don't laugh, but I wanted a wide binding on a quilt, like about an inch. I was using w& N and the thin batting seemed to roll giving me a binding that was not filled in places. I fussed around a while trying different methods and finally realized what I wanted was a wider band of binding color around the edge, so I added a final 1" border the same color as the binding.

Sunnye 01-05-2014 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6493926)
OK, now don't laugh, but I wanted a wide binding on a quilt, like about an inch. I was using w& N and the thin batting seemed to roll giving me a binding that was not filled in places. I fussed around a while trying different methods and finally realized what I wanted was a wider band of binding color around the edge, so I added a final 1" border the same color as the binding.

I did that also! The "finished" quilt wasn't quite wide enough for my taste when on the bed.
Whatever works! It looks fine.

Painiacs 01-05-2014 07:12 AM

Paper- not laughing! Great idea

Holice 01-05-2014 07:15 AM

Some basic info missing....
Using walking foot?
What size now cutting binding.
What size you want the binding.
Is top pieced .
Do you have borders.
Do u only have 1/4 inch on edge..

This and other details are necessary to give informed suggestions.

NJ Quilter 01-05-2014 07:38 AM

Trim your batting/backing the distance from the seam you have sewn your binding to the width that you want your finished front/back edge of the binding to be.

Murphy1 01-05-2014 07:43 AM

On my last quilt I made a flange before sewing on the binding. I really like how it turned out. Mine was a different fabric than the binding, but it could be the same and then the binding would look wider.

katier825 01-05-2014 07:48 AM

If you leave some extra batting/backing beyond the edge of the quilt, you can still do your seam 1/4 from the edge so you don't lose the design. You would just have to experiment with different widths of binding and extra batting to find the look you want. For example, if you cut your strip 3" and fold in half, use 1/4 seam, you will end up with 5/8" binding, so you could cut the batting larger to accommodate it. Practice with scraps and write down as you go to keep track of what works.