Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Blocks of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-blocks-month-t57210.html)

tdgiffin 07-31-2010 06:28 PM

These look really beautiful, and when you start them for 2011, I may need to try it. I am wondering this though. When I look at the completed blocks, I do not see where you would connect the blocks to each other because there is not a lot of room around the edges. Won;t you lose the pattern when you attach them?

judyrael 07-31-2010 06:47 PM

I've also wondered the same thing in a lot of different blocks that I was going to try. I just made a pretty star block and it is right to the end, so I know I will lose the tips of the stars when I join them, so decided to just make it in to a potholder. Hope someone can answer this for us.

Pam B 07-31-2010 07:29 PM

Generally, when one does a BOM, you then use a pattern of some sort to 'set' your blocks. In order not to 'lose' any of the pattern of the block, generally you will add sashing strips.

MadQuilter 07-31-2010 07:36 PM

If the points on the stars go straight to the edge then there is a problem (either with the sewing or with the pattern). There needs to be a 1/4" edge to sew the blocks together (or to sew a sashing strip to the block).

LucyInTheSky 07-31-2010 07:47 PM

My BOMs generally have an 1/4"-ish seam. They're not perfect, but it's my sewing, lol. I pin them to keep the points, sometimes sew 1/8", sometimes 3/8", but I make it work. There's an issue with the pattern or how they were put together if you're not getting 1/4".

If you post the pattern(s), we can take a look!

judyrael 07-31-2010 07:52 PM

Thanks much... Now I know its not me, but the pattern. Is there a way to tell from looking at the pattern if when it is put together it will have that 1/4 inch, or should I cut it out of paper first, lay it together and see if it does? Since I've just started quilting lately, its new to me. I know this block I made, came right to the edge, so its not one that I would make again.

dgmoby 08-01-2010 04:37 AM

It might be that the seams used to sew the pieces together are wider than 1/4". This could easily cause the entire block to have the stars right to the edge. I don't know of any star pattern that doesn't allow for the 1/4" on the edges, so it's possible this is the issue. I do know when I first started quilting, I was using too large of a seam allowance - thus my pieces didn't fit right and caused many problems (including this one!). You may consider double checking that, and possibly even using a scant 1/4" instead of a full 1/4" (some machines take a bit too large of a bite at the 1/4" mark, so please measure for accuracy).

I hope this helps :)

brushandthimble 08-01-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by judyrael
Thanks much... Now I know its not me, but the pattern. Is there a way to tell from looking at the pattern if when it is put together it will have that 1/4 inch, or should I cut it out of paper first, lay it together and see if it does? Since I've just started quilting lately, its new to me. I know this block I made, came right to the edge, so its not one that I would make again.

To check your seam allowance take 3 strips of fabric about 3 inchs long, and cut 1 1/2 inch wide; sew the length together, press and measure the widths. The center width should be 1 inch, total of the 3 together should be 3 1/2 inchs. If it measures less than your seam allowance is to large.
Hope this helps.

judyrael 08-01-2010 07:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out my machine, however, I don't think that's it because I've used the same settings for other blocks and they turned out perfect. And I also checked that I was using a 1/4 inch by using the index card trick. The block was one that I found in a magazine and I copyied. It may be my copy machine didn't copy it just exact. But I'll try the scant 1/4 inch and see if that works.

PurplePassion 08-01-2010 08:48 AM

Welcome from MN. My points don't always match either. I keep practicing . I give my quilts away to kids and people that don't know how to sew quilts and they don't care if nothing matches up . They are just happy that someone cared enough about them to make them a cuddly quilt. You can spend days fretting about matching or you could spend the time making something loveable. Elaine