Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question About Coroplast Fabric Boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-coroplast-fabric-boards-t100453.html)

Maybe1day 02-18-2011 02:49 PM

I haven't seen the boards being mentioned here although I think they look nicer than what I use. Will stick to what I use though as it is cheap (free)- I collect used bolt boards from my LQS and cut them in half as they are too long otherwise, tape the cut ends up and presto, I have bolt holders. Doing things this way I don't get as much fabric in the shelves as I would if I folded like yours but am happier anyway as it is easier to pull them out keeping the rest tidy.

Maybe1day

BettyGee 02-18-2011 03:30 PM

I have purchased the core boards from M.I.Late and am in the process of putting all of my stash on the boards. I just placed my second order with her to finish the job. I'm a fan of the boards for many reasons; easy to see what I have, can group fabric by theme or color, takes up less room, know how much of each I have, etc. Do believe it is a individual thing, not everyone will like them; but those of us who like the idea know that Gayle is offering a terrific deal. On that note, a member said she purchased the core board from the hardware store and made her own. I bought two sheets at $9.48 for a 24 x 36 sheet, an investment of $18.96. My husband measured and cut, not the easiest stuff to cut, and I got nine large boards out of each sheet so that makes each board quite pricey. Three boards fron each sheet were large, in order to use every inch of material, and I used those to hold ten yards of fabric. It worked great, but the cost was greater. Also the cuts, while my DH did a terrific job, were not as perfect as the ones I purchase from Gayle. This is a case where I'm sure practice would perfect the technique, but it is still not economical.

So to sum up, I'm a big fan of the boards for reasons I've stated. I will post a picture of my completed stash along with "before" pix. I really splurged on my stash at the end of the year with all the clearance sales, but it really needs organizing. I tried all different kinds of folds, but couldn't really see my collection the way I wanted to be able to. I also am a book collector and so it just followed that having my fabric as neatly arranged as my books would work for me.

You should do research if you decide to try the board method. I tried three different retailers (and my DIY try) and the most economical, best product, and satisfaction is with Gayle's, M.I.Late, product.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to share my experiences.

deb8746 02-18-2011 05:02 PM

I have my fabric on coreplast but it is from the local sign shop . a lot of times they will give it to you , but if youo want it a certain size they will charge. My cabinets are deep so I have some that stays on the original bolts then the others go on shorter pieces of plastic. I like how you have your fabric but I do enjoy having mine so I can look and get it out easier for me . BESURE to round the corners of the sign plastic it will cut you if you do not.

MaryAnna 02-18-2011 08:25 PM

Yes, you would be able to get more as the fabric isn't folded over so many times, so it's thinner. My boards are about the size of 8 x 11 inches, you might need larger shelving though. Mine are on a bookcase.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

JoanneS 02-19-2011 11:47 AM

The ease in getting them out and back in makes it worth it to me - and I used foam core which takes up even more room. Fortunately, I have enough space. In your case, you would need adjustable shelves so you could have some narrow vertical spaces, because it looks like you have a lot of FQs. My shelves are adjustable, so I have some narrow spaces for my FQs. I'd show pictures, but I'm in AZ, and I'm talking about my CT sewing room. The AZ one is a book shelf in a closet LOL.

I bought foam core at the $ store - 2/$ and cut 4 from each sheet. The sheets are 20 X 30, so I cut them 7 1/2 X 20 - used the rotary cutter I use for paper.

JeanDal 02-19-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I see a lot of fabrics in your stash that I also have in mine!!!!
Don't know about the boards. I don't use them. My thought is also that you could not get as much fabric on a shelf. Mine is folded nice and neat and can easily see what's there. Your shelf looks that way too. I can't see, for myself, spending that kind of time, or money to wrap my thousands of yards of fabric on boards.

Yeah, and it would be a pain to rewrap everything. I use the ruler-fold technique, and it is fast and easy with no need to double-fold the fabric like you have to do with the boards. Thanks, JG.

What is the ruler-fold technique? :?:

BettyGee 02-20-2011 09:24 AM

Another plus for the boards. I had a piece of material, about 3 yards, and thought it looked like one I had wrapped two days before. So just looking at the fabrics I have wrapped I found it right away and added the additional piece. If the material had still been stored in my old way it would have taken much longer to find.

Why did I have two pieces of the same fabric? When I find something that I love I try to accumulate as much of it as I can afford and can find. This particular piece is going to be a quilt for my great-niece's first big girl bed and I knew right away that it was the perfect pattern.

I am also curious as to what the ruler-fold technique is?

MTS 02-21-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-100453-1.htm#2548289

BettyGee 02-21-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

Originally Posted by BettyGee

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-100453-1.htm#2548289

Ah, thank you. So far I'm very happy with how my boards are working out. Still have a few gazillion yards to wrap, but think I'll really like having it all organized so I can see what I have.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I've got the old dog part right and now to work on learning the tricks.