Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about cutting mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-cutting-mats-t16229.html)

Quilting G 02-05-2009 06:09 AM

How often do they need to be replaced? it is a Fiskars and I bought it in a kit and have only cut 4 small quilts on it, but it is starting to show ware (nicks here and there). now these four quilts were made over a few years. Do the mats age as in a shelf life even if not used often?

It is becoming difficult to cut accuratly due to the postions of these nicks. And I wondering what the best rout to take if I replace. Go cheap or will it pay to go to a more expensive brand..

Thanks!

pocoellie 02-05-2009 10:29 AM

When you're cutting, are you pressing too hard with the cutter? Are you blades sharp, sometimes when they're dull, we have a tendency to press hard to cut. Also I've read that you're not supposed to keep cutting in the same area all the time. But, my best guess would be the first things-pressing too hard or dull blades. Maybe someone else can help you better than me.

Shemjo 02-05-2009 10:43 AM

There is a tool to use to smooth mats. It helps to heal some of the wounds! Yes, mats can wear out. There are self healing mats, some rather pricey. A good mat is a good investment! :lol:
I cut in different areas so as not to wear a groove. But pushing too hard might be a problem. Elsewhere on this board there is a thread about using the tool to sharpen your blades :lol:
I have had my mats for several years and they warp if not stored properly, and I have had that problem. :?

quiltingchic 02-05-2009 10:50 AM

I have two mats that are at least 5 years old I have turned one over and use the back side of it. I do not have fiskers mats, I did pay a little more money on a good mat and i think it makes a difference.
Dawn

mimisharon 02-05-2009 06:04 PM

I have one that is self healing, but I'm not crazy about it, there isn't an edge to it. The numbers start right on the edge. I've worn one dritz out but I now use it for my scrapbooking. The new mat I bought I'm rotating more, but I know i'm heavy handed. That's why I have to replace them so often. lol

Sharon

littlehud 02-05-2009 07:03 PM

I'm sure like anything they can wear out. Mine has a few little nicks in it, but still is working fine. Try a lighter touch and maybe it will last longer.

b.zang 02-05-2009 08:39 PM

The lady who taught me to quilt told me to buy a green mat - no other. I don't know the difference in quality of others, because I followed her instructions and bought a green mat (Olfa) and have never bought another one. It's holding up perfectly and I've had it about 7 years. The only time it shows any cut line is when I have cut something linty and have jammed fabric lint into the cut but a brushing with one of those body scrub thingys (thanks to a tip on here) and it's good as new. I don't use anything except a rotary cutter on my mat.

Also - these mats regularly go on half-price at the discount fabric shops around here, so it wasn't even expensive.

PrettyKitty 02-06-2009 01:22 AM

Ditto what b.zang said about the Olfa self healing mat. I've only been using it since June last year but it has no markes on it at all.

cbuchanan 02-07-2009 08:28 AM

I have three different size Olfa green mats and have been using them for over 10 years and they remain in perfect condition. Word of caution I learned the hard way: don't expose to sun (as in a car) My first year of quilting with my Olfa mat was left in the backseat of my car and it warped horribly. They are the best and worth the money. Again, wait for that discount coupon.

BellaBoo 02-07-2009 10:01 AM

Go to a auto or hardware store (or your DH's toolbox) and buy a round honing stone. It will smooth a cutting mat and minimize the cut lines as well as get all the lint and stuck threads off.