Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about EQ7 and/or other Quilting Software (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-eq7-other-quilting-software-t213765.html)

CarolynMT 02-13-2013 04:26 PM

Question about EQ7 and/or other Quilting Software

Hello all, I have a couple questions and am hoping someone here can help me.

First off, I want to say that my quilting goal is to become a Master Quilter. Call it "oldest child syndrome" or "perfectionist" but I want to be one of the best. So I have been tinkering with design, changing up color schemes and blocks etc. I am going to be purchasing a Long Arm soon (hopefully within the next week or two :p I have finally saved enough) and have taught several classes at a local sewing store before on my work, specifically that french braid one....we did a table runner rather than the whole quilt.

Anyhow, up to now I have been tweaking designs on my own, paper/pencil and calculator. Happened across the EQ7 on amazon. Got me thinking that this might be something I could benefit from using.

so here are my questions:
1. Am I restricted to just building blocks? or can I design a french braid or crazy patch type quilt?
2. Are the sizes for the finished quilts set? like "queen/king/throw etc" or can you put in any size you want?
3. Does it allow for quilting designs, the stuff on top not the blocks/piecing, so I can try out different pantographs or FMQ styles on the quilt top virtually?

Think that is all I can remember, sigh, swear I had a list a mile long on my drive home tonight but feeding monsters and doing laundry has chased most out of my head.

Also, is there another program that is better or same than EQ7?

Thanks for your help

LyndaOH 02-13-2013 04:40 PM

I love EQ and I don't think there's any other program like it, although there are other programs that approach it differently.

Here are your answers:

1. You can design literally anything and you are not restricted to blocks. You can use any type of setting including a variable setting, where you place your blocks or whatever shape pieces precisely on the quilt. If you want me to send you an example of what I mean, let me know. That said, it's smart to start out designing with blocks and then moving on to more challenging settings.

2. The finished quilt sizes are not set; quilts can be virtually any size. I generally don't start out with a size, but build my quilt and adjust block size and borders to the size I want.

3. It has a layer for blocks, one for applique and one for your quilting design. I have not used the quilting designs much, but I know there are a significant number built in to the program.

The program comes with libraries for blocks, fabrics, applique, quilt designs, etc., all of which can be easily added to.

I'm a fan and think it will be excellent for your purposes. It works really well for my original designs.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me with other questions.

LJ

dunster 02-13-2013 05:04 PM

Quiltinaday usually has the best price on EQ7. You have to put it into your cart to find out what the price is, but it's a substantial savings.

I have tried out the quilting designs layer. There are lots of designs provided, but I haven't found it very useful for that purpose. You might have a different experience. While it is possible to design almost anything, some things are a lot harder than others. For instance, I was able to come up with an EQ representation of the center of my avatar quilt, but not the entire thing. It still allows me to experiment with different color combinations. I'm also a big fan of the software.

QuiltnNan 02-13-2013 05:45 PM

you visit their website, there are many videos to show you what can be done. here's the link http://electricquilt.com/online-shop/electric-quilt-7/

dray965 02-13-2013 06:26 PM

I love EQ7. You are not limited to the sizes that come installed. You can customize your quilts in any way you want.

As for blocks you can use theirs (about 5000 in there, I think) as is, or modify them in any way you want. OR you can create your own.

To create your blocks you can either do geometric blocks, or patchwork ones, or applique ones..or create one using your own photos...as a fabric photo, or an applique made from your photo or a patchwork one from your photos.

You can preview fabric in your designed quilt by either using the ones coming with the program, downloading fabric squares from your favorite online store to see if it would work in your quilt, or scan in fabric that you already own.

As for motifs and stencils, this is what I like best about it. I do my own quilting on a domestic machine. I can use theirs or draw my own. I can even create a stencil from a block design, or I can upload a photo of one and draw it into the program. After that I can print it out to any size I want.

I have recently learned how to draw pantographs with it and am working on learning how to create edge-to-edge.

I haven't found anything yet, that I can't do. That doesn't mean it will do everything...just that I haven't discovered it yet.

However, there is a learning curve...if you don't like to learn computer software, or don't like to read manuels, or take time to learn a complex program like EQ7, then you won't like this program. However, If you will give it a chance and take the time to spend time to learn the program, I think you'll find that it will be everything you hoped it would be.

No...I don't work for them. LOL

sewplease 02-13-2013 08:41 PM

Can anyone comment on Quilt-Pro? I'm curious....

Edited to add - What about Quilt Design Wizard? Thanks!!

eparys 02-14-2013 04:49 AM

I can not comment on Quilt Pro, but I first purchased Jenny Haskins "Perfect Quilt Express" and "Perfect Quilt - Classic 1200". While it did what I thought I wanted it to do, it did not have the flexibility of many things I wanted to try and navigating through the block library and quilt library was cumbersome. I still browse through the blocks occasionally when I am looking for something specific, but then always go back to my EQ.

Everyone else has pretty much answered your other questions - I will just add I use my EQ much more than I ever expected. I also will play with EQ when I am answering a question on the board. I view this as great practice.

There is a learning curve if you are not used to running programs, but for me - ( I am a retired CompSci teacher) it was pretty straight forward. I think it will serve you well - and there is a lot of help around here if you have questions.

BellaBoo 02-14-2013 07:29 AM

I have EQ7 and I haven't found anything it can't do quilt design wise. There is a learning curve but it's simply click and do.

for those that have EQ 6 or 7 there is an update for it on the EQ website. It adds a lot of improve features. The update is free.

Weezy Rider 02-14-2013 08:17 AM

I have 5. What I can't make it do is design sashing. I might just want a 2" sashing that will use some of those strips.
I can put in cornerstones, but I can't put the strips in the middle of the sashing. I do QAYG.

I can do it in Adobe Illustrator if need be. But I can't import it to see the effect.

Otherwise, it's pretty decent.

QuiltnNan 02-14-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5860831)
I have 5. What I can't make it do is design sashing. I might just want a 2" sashing that will use some of those strips.
I can put in cornerstones, but I can't put the strips in the middle of the sashing. I do QAYG.

I can do it in Adobe Illustrator if need be. But I can't import it to see the effect.

Otherwise, it's pretty decent.

do you mean stripes in the middle of the sashing? in any case, one can make the sashings like blocks. just drop one of your block designs in the sashing... you can change your block drawing board to the size of the sashing, if you want. on the vertical sashings, you'd have to rotate the block. you can even put block patterns in your cornerstones. give it a try :)