Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A question about Eye-Spy quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-eye-spy-quilts-t268697.html)

nanna-up-north 08-12-2015 06:09 PM

A question about Eye-Spy quilts

Many of us have made learning quilts for little ones from time to time. But I'd like to know if you tell the new parents that it's a learning quilt, give them a list of learning questions, etc. Being a retired teacher of 30+ years I want my gift to be cuddly, warm, and fun to play on but I want the parents to know they can use the quilt for great teaching moments. So, do any of you give parents the information, suggestions for how to use the quilt, questions and answers to ask as the child gets older, etc? Or would that be an insult to the parents?

Toni C 08-12-2015 06:20 PM

seeing as how most people don't know much about quilts, I would think it would be a good idea to give them the info. They can do with it what they wish. Also in info give how to care for it. Just my opinion

MadQuilter 08-12-2015 06:26 PM

I'd see it as a lecture and wouldn't appreciate it.

quiltingcandy 08-12-2015 06:30 PM

When I do an I Spy quilt I don't write anything down, but I have told the mom that it is "I Spy" like the game and they can have the child look for various items and I usually set them up to look for the matching items.

DOTTYMO 08-12-2015 09:56 PM

Never thought about writing information down I usually make sure mum or dad know how to wash the quilt.

tesspug 08-12-2015 10:29 PM

I made matching bean bags so the children could throw or place the bags to match the blocks. And I wrote out several games and ideas to use the quilt. The parents loved it.

bearisgray 08-12-2015 10:40 PM

If you are/were a tracher, the parrnts might expect you to continue actng like one.

I think it would depend on the parents for what I would do.

gramajo 08-13-2015 09:15 AM

I've seen where the names of the different objects are embroidered on the outside border.

soccertxi 08-13-2015 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do an I Spy that is a diff fabric on each block with a triangle in two opposite corners. When I trim off the triangles and sew them together, I get 2 HST that I sew into a flying geese. I make the border out of it so the kids can play Match Game. I tell the parents they match and often use left overs on the back as well.

Vicki1212 08-13-2015 10:00 PM

I've made an I Spy quilt with duplicates of each block and I explain to everyone how it works and the games that can be played. Most never realised the concept and were pleasantly surprised. Usually once you start explaining, you can guage whether or not the recipient knows how an I Spy quilt can be used and you can then tailor your explanation to suit. Wouldn't it be awful though if the recipient didn't realise the concept of the quilt and it was never used for learning? It would be such a waste, so 'explain away' is my opinion.