Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about flannel in place of batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-flannel-place-batting-t265922.html)

KristenJ 06-02-2015 09:53 AM

Question about flannel in place of batting

Hello Ladies,
I am working on a quit using flannel in place of batting. The top quilting cotton and the backing is dimple dot Minky. Do you know how far apart my quilting should be? I am assuming that I don't need much but i'm just not 100% sure.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tartan 06-02-2015 10:01 AM

The batting usually says how far apart the quilting lines can be. Make sure the flannel has been pre-shrunk before using it as batting.

Latrinka 06-02-2015 11:11 AM

I've done a couple like this, I'd say at least every 8 inches or so, and make sure it is caught all the way around in your binding too, ask me how I know! The quilt police would chew me up and spit me out! LOL! Also agree with Tartan, wash and dry flannel because it does shrink differently than cotton or minky.

KristenJ 06-02-2015 11:55 AM

OK. Whats the worst that can happen if I didn't wash the flannel?!?!? OMG. I'm done quilting it and didn't go back and check for replies. I did toss the flannel in the dryer on high heat for about 30 minutes before I used it. That was mainly to get the wrinkles out though. Fingers crossed that's enough. O dear.......

Material Witness 06-02-2015 01:53 PM

Let us know, please.

Tartan 06-02-2015 02:37 PM

The worst that can happen is the flannel will contract some but with minky on the back, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

suern3 06-02-2015 03:11 PM

Please do let us know how this turns out! Some flannel shrinks a lot, some not so much. And I always wonder if the quilting will hold it in place. Best wishes.

SittingPretty 06-02-2015 05:45 PM

I would think that since flannel is a woven fabric, and not actual batting, that it should hold together just fine, no matter how far apart you quilt it. The only thing I would think about would be the layers "separating" and creating "pockets." Yes, do be sure to catch it in the binding. Otherwise, it could bunch up when washed.

citruscountyquilter 06-04-2015 04:30 AM

The reason there are space requirements for quilting using batting is because it is not a woven fabric and will pull apart if not secured. Flannel is a woven fabric like the minky and cotton so space between stitchings is not an issue other than for appearance sake you don't want large areas of your quilt sagging from use as the minky, flannel and cotton will behave differently from the wear and tear from use.

As far as the washing and shrinking issue goes it might not be much of an issue. The stitching will keep some of the shrinkage down if there is any and if there is some shrinkage it will give your quilt a puckered old fashioned look like you get when you use cotton batting.

RosaSharon 06-04-2015 11:07 AM

I have used a sheet for batting and I love it. One problem; it does tend to slip more than batting does when quilting.