Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about fusible applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-fusible-applique-t211740.html)

kele 01-22-2013 11:20 PM

Question about fusible applique

Working on an a baby quilt for my first grandchild - yay! The quilt has some light appliques on dark backgrounds. What is the best way to prevent the background from showing through the appliques? I am doing fusible applique, and then satin stitching around them. I was thinking of cutting out the background behind the applique shapes after stitching. Has anyone tried this, and how did you like it? Is there a better way? I would love to hear some tips!

Thanks!

ktbb 01-23-2013 12:07 AM

cutting out the back is one way - another is to back the applique with a layer of muslin or other neutral fabric which will prevent the background from showing thru. You can always use a layer of batting behind the shape, which will not only cover up the background material, but also give some dimension to the applique - cut the batting a little smaller than the shape then either stitch the raw edge or turn it under, and some free motion on top will keep the batting in place.

Jackie Spencer 01-23-2013 02:34 AM

If you are fusing your appliques to the background fabric, you will not be able to cut the back ground fabric away. They will be fused together.

katier825 01-23-2013 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5806860)
If you are fusing your appliques to the background fabric, you will not be able to cut the back ground fabric away. They will be fused together.

If you cut out the center of the fusible before your apply it, you will be able to trim away the background. You only need to leave about 1/4" around the edge.

Here is a visual for you:
http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...sible_applique

rush88888 01-23-2013 03:50 AM

if it is a simple shape, some people do the following:

cut out two shapes...one that will be the top, and the other that will be the bottom. in this case, a light-colored fabric will be the bottom. add 1/4" seam allowance all the way around on both pieces.

rights sides facing, sew the two shapes together using 1/4" seam, leaving a couple of inches for turning.

clip seams at the curves, if there are any, so that when turned, the applique will lay flat.

turn the right sides out and press, making sure that the open area follows the correct shape of your applique. whip stitch the opening closed.

applique piece to the quilt.

maybe someone can give you visuals of this process.

this is just another way to applique.

susiequilt 01-23-2013 04:01 AM

I use a used fabric softener sheet for the backing for the above applique process. Works fine and very light weight.

Beebee 01-23-2013 04:18 AM

I love to applique using the fusible method and have been giving this some thought. I think your best avenue would be to use the method Rush8888 suggests. You can find a video of this at Nancy's Notions where she does it with the center of a dresden plate design. = With the dark background I see no other way. Even if you do the cutting method you will still see 1/4 inch seam behind your applique. Sounds really cute. I just finished puppy dogs, but these were muslin blocks with sashing. Good luck

ghostrider 01-23-2013 05:21 AM

I use raw edge fusible appliqué extensively. When it's going to cover a darker background fabric, I fuse the appliqué fabric to a light fabric before I cut out the shape. Even with a double layer of fabric and a double layer of fusible (I use Wonder Under 805), I can still hand stitch through it if I choose, and the machine has no trouble at all.

kele 01-23-2013 11:31 AM

Lots of good help and info! I think I will have to try each of these methods out on a practice project. Thanks to all.

AlienQuilter 01-23-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb (Post 5806821)
cutting out the back is one way - another is to back the applique with a layer of muslin or other neutral fabric which will prevent the background from showing thru. You can always use a layer of batting behind the shape, which will not only cover up the background material, but also give some dimension to the applique - cut the batting a little smaller than the shape then either stitch the raw edge or turn it under, and some free motion on top will keep the batting in place.

I like to take the applique fabric and sew the fusible to the right side with the glue side facing the right side of the applique fabric. Trim with pinking shears, cut a slit in the center of the fusible, turn, then insert batting inside of it. This part is good TV work.