Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about fusing circles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-fusing-circles-t210374.html)

quiltingfan 01-07-2013 02:33 PM

Question about fusing circles

Do I have too use a stabilizer if I am doing circles? or is that just a suggestion?

quilttiger 01-07-2013 03:09 PM

If you are fusing a circle to a background or to a block, whatever you use for fusing should work well as a stabilizer, too, such as Wonder Under and so on.

sewbeadit 01-07-2013 03:15 PM

Hi, are you asking if you want to put circles on your square do you have to do it with fusible interfacing? No you don't. You can do it which ever way you want, applique by hand, applique by machine, you don't have to have an interfacing to do it. Using fusibles is really easy to do however.

quiltingfan 01-07-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 5769678)
Hi, are you asking if you want to put circles on your square do you have to do it with fusible interfacing? No you don't. You can do it which ever way you want, applique by hand, applique by machine, you don't have to have an interfacing to do it. Using fusibles is really easy to do however.

I don't have any interfacing and don't really want to wait to go buy it. That is why I was asking. Thanks I will get busy on finishing the never ending quilt. Just want to get it done already.

luvTooQuilt 01-07-2013 04:14 PM

you can always use 'icky' fabric as stabilizer..

For example I have some super thin flimsy see thru fabric that i would not trust in a block, however I used my go circle die cutter.. layed right side (good fab) to right side (icky fab) and cut.. i sewed all the way around the edge- 1/4 inch... and slit a hole in the icky fabric and 'birthed' the circle.. Now i have a clean edge to applique..

quiltingfan 01-07-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5769770)

For example I have some super thin flimsy see thru fabric that i would not trust in a block, however I used my go circle die cutter.. layed right side (good fab) to right side (icky fab) and cut.. i sewed all the way around the edge- 1/4 inch... and slit a hole in the icky fabric and 'birthed' the circle.. Now i have a clean edge to applique..

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do a couple of blocks and see how they come out, I am in a "anything to get this top done" I am sick and tired of blues..

mary quilting 01-07-2013 06:37 PM

Go to HGTV and put " Easy Circle Quilt Blocks " in search box and watch the video I love this method .

fayzer 01-07-2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5769770)

I was very interested in this post as I have to put circles on my batik top when it is finished. I did not want to do raw edge applique so this "birthing" method sounds like it will work better on this modern quilt pattern.

DebbE 01-07-2013 07:01 PM

I'm going to use the same method (using a different fabric as a stabilizer & birthing the circle) on my batik strip quilt, too. I wanted a nice clean edge, and feel the extra bit of fabric on each circle is going to make it stand out just a tiny bit more again the batik strips, besides being easier to applique onto the quilt top....I am probably going to add a small piece of batting, too, so that the quilting on those circles adds a bit to the quilt top in texture and interest.