Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-hand-quilting-t281382.html)

SylvieJ 08-16-2016 06:56 PM

Question about hand quilting

Hi, I would like to know what kind of thread and marker pen are your favourite for hand quilting.

Bree123 08-16-2016 07:05 PM

YLI thread. I use the same marking pen for hand quilting as I do for machine quilting (Crayola Ultra Clean).

Genden 08-16-2016 07:50 PM

I also like YLI quilting thread the best.

quiltingcandy 08-16-2016 09:19 PM

I buy hand quilting thread, can remember the brand right now, but I usual mark with masking tape. If it is curved then I use a special quilting pencil. It is a mechanical pencil for marking quilts and it was given to me many years ago.

Jane Quilter 08-16-2016 09:31 PM

YLI hand quilting waxed thread. Mark with a HB2 pencil, or a cayola washable colored marker where you cant see the pencil lines

NJ Quilter 08-17-2016 02:56 AM

I primarily use Gutterman thread as that is what is easily locally available to me but I also use Coats & Clark and the JoAnn's Americana brand. I also use Thread Heaven to condition the thread and reduce tangles.

For marking I generally use a plain old #2 mechanical pencil for marking on light fabrics and also have a Bohin mechanical pencil with white lead for marking on dark fabrics.

maryb119 08-17-2016 03:30 AM

I use Gutterman thread and I like to use an air soluable marker if possible or a water soluable if I need it to stay on longer.

feline fanatic 08-17-2016 04:15 AM

I use Valdani 35 wt thread for hand quilting. Roxanne #11 needles. For marking I use many different tools. 1/4" masking tape for echoing seams and wider for cross hatch, clover chaco liner (use only white!! The colors don't always come out, I learned that the hard way), ceramic lead mechanical pencils, hera markers, chalk (both regular school style chalk in white and chalk pencils in gray and white), Saral and Transdoodle wax free transfer paper and I have even used pencil over starched fabric. Pencil is risky, it doesn't always come out. I have been very lucky and the starch acted as a sort of film on the fabric to keep the lead from embedding into the fibers. Back when I hand quilted I marked as I went. One time I marked a quilt in its entirety and a lot of the marks had rubbed off before I got to that area as I quilt with a lap hoop so the quilt rubs against itself and is manipulated a lot.

Kitsie 08-17-2016 07:56 AM

I use the same Gutterman as I do for piecing (great way to use up ends of spools and bobbins.) I mark with faint pencil, white chalk or air disappearing purple pen.

For applique I use "Invisifil" thread which is about the thickness of hair! (or seems so)

ManiacQuilter2 08-17-2016 09:08 AM

I don't hand quilt much anymore but back in the olden days, all that there was was C&C.