Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about hanging quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-hanging-quilts-t151169.html)

AZTeri 09-07-2011 05:28 PM

For a desert colored/themed wall hanging, I'm going to use a rib from a saguaro cactus. DH is going to sand it down and spray polyurethane it. It works really well. I'll probably hang it from brass hooks.

Oh, ETA - instead of a sleeve, I made loops along the top. Personally, I like it, and so does dh and that's all that really matters, right? :D

RkayD 09-07-2011 05:35 PM

I sew triangles on the corners of the backs of my quilts and use thin wood ~think paint stick~ and use regular picture hanging hardware.

angiecub 09-07-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
there are specially made rods, but I went to bed bath & beyond and got curtain rods. They are 1" in diameter, very sturdy. They have several types with matching brackets and finials. They were on sale, and i used a 20% off coupon. The rod just sits in the bracket type I chose, so it's easy to change the quilt when I want.

I use the same thing; mine are wood with balls on the ends. I can trim them down to the correct length for the quilt hanging on it.

AliKat 09-07-2011 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used electrical conduit pipe held up by the appropriate hardware. it can be painted or covered to look really nice if desired.

Then I used those skirt hangers you can buy to go with the plastic tubular hangers. I sewed some sewing tape/braid through them and slipped them on my rod. These skirt hangers are user friendly to quilts and won't harm them when I hang my quilts up.

ali

CruisingStef 09-08-2011 03:04 AM

I purchased some PCV pipe at Lowe's for under $5, I then sew an extra fold of fabric about 2 1/2" to the back to hold my quilt on the pipe. It's attached to the wall the same way you would attach a curtain rod. The entire process was quick, the job was done, and it looks very professional!

joycecil 09-08-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cosy
I found brackets at our local Restore (salvage hardware that benefits Habitat for Humanity), and used 1/2 in PVC pipe. I did this for drapery rods, too.

I use pipe for everything. I like your idea.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-08-2011 05:18 AM

I use nice looking curtain rods with brackets that the rod just sits in. I got a really nice black iron one at Wal Mart.

joym 09-08-2011 05:50 AM

thanks everyone for your responses.......helps a lot

spindreams 09-08-2011 07:15 AM

The curtain rods work well. But be careful if the rod is unfinished wood, it can stain a light coloured quilt if it hangs there for a while. Best to coat the rod with a water-based clear shellac or paint it.

Jane

fivepaws 09-08-2011 08:57 AM

We have a large patch of bamboo in the backyard. My DH puts up brackets and we hang my quilts on dry bamboo cut to length. I am in Northern Virginia. Any quilters are welcome to cut some for their own use. Just PM me, please.