Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-iron-t240627.html)

mary123 02-08-2014 02:53 AM

Question about iron

Do any of you have a suggestion what to do when a Rowenta iron occasionally puts
rust on fabric when pressing the steam button?
Thanks.

cookie5 02-08-2014 03:07 AM

I don't have an answer to your question but have one of my own about MY not more than one year old Rowenta iron. It doesn't seem to get as hot as I think it should. Are all Rowentas like that?

ckcowl 02-08-2014 03:09 AM

mine came with 'cleaning instructions' in the owners book- tells you how to empty & clean out the steam feature- which they say should be done when you are done using it each day- the iron should not be left full of water to sit. see if you saved your 'manual' and put it through a good cleaning to 'expel' all of the buildup you have in your steam vent.

Sandygirl 02-08-2014 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by mary123 (Post 6561844)
Do any of you have a suggestion what to do when a Rowenta iron occasionally puts
rust on fabric when pressing the steam button?
Thanks.

R U using the correct water?? My Rowenta was 22 years old and I never ever had any probems with it. It finally wore out and Zi have replaced it with the Rowenta Eco. Read the manual...very explicit on the type of water used.
Sandy

NJ Quilter 02-08-2014 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6561871)
R U using the correct water?? My Rowenta was 22 years old and I never ever had any probems with it. It finally wore out and Zi have replaced it with the Rowenta Eco. Read the manual...very explicit on the type of water used.
Sandy

I agree completely. Some Rowentas are designed for tap water; some for distilled. But DO go through the cleaning process. I'm sure that will resolve your problems.

Peckish 02-08-2014 07:09 AM

Sounds like a great reason to buy a new iron to me! :)

willferg 02-08-2014 07:34 AM

Mine started doing that after about ten years, so now I don't use steam from it. I have a spray bottle that I use instead. I suspect the iron is dying a slow death, so I'm researching new irons for when that time comes.

Neesie 02-08-2014 07:51 AM

When I bought my current, inexpensive B&D iron, I didn't bother even trying the steam feature. I keep a spray bottle of water next to my ironing board, which works just as well. Before this iron, I'd tried various steam irons, including an expensive Rowenta. I read instructions carefully and used tap or distilled water, as directed. Finally got fed up with the lack of quality in even the expensive ones, so went to WalMart and bought one of the cheapest B&D irons, I could find. Got myself a spray bottle and a gallon of distilled water (we have hard well water) and have never looked back. :thumbup:

tessagin 02-08-2014 08:03 AM

mine is a Sunbeam and shuts off when I don't want it too. Right in the middle of using it. Suppose to be a safety feature. PIA.

Dolphyngyrl 02-08-2014 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by cookie5 (Post 6561853)
I don't have an answer to your question but have one of my own about MY not more than one year old Rowenta iron. It doesn't seem to get as hot as I think it should. Are all Rowentas like that?

No mine gets hot, and gets hot fast even with auto shut off. Its one of the reasons I don't like using the cheaper irons at my parents and inlaws house because the heat just doesn't get as hot as my rowenta