Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about JoAnn's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-joanns-t177554.html)

SUZAG 01-30-2012 12:57 PM

When I worked at Home Depot, instead of sending things back to a manufacturer, we would have to put it in the compactor. It was required by the manufacturer and the employees could not take it. It's call a "field destroy"...

Up North 01-30-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyCricket (Post 4926118)
I was just at JoAnns this morning, I never thought of checking the dumpsters. You would think that the stores would at least just put the items on sale...50 60 heck even 90 percent off to sell it and they would at least get a little bit of their money back. Seems like a big waste to me.

I think they get more back when they send in the required proof that it did not sell than if they sold it for pennies, Sad but true.

Daylesewblessed 01-30-2012 01:46 PM

I once had a conversation with a Joann's regional manager about this. I asked why they couldn't give things they couldn't sell to charity. He said that would cause jealousy among charities, because one charity would find out that the other had gotten things. Certainly he could have thought of something more believable than that!

Dayle

Lori S 01-30-2012 01:52 PM

At my Jo'Anns even the smallest pieces get the sissor shred before they go to the dumpster. I saw one of the girls doing this one day , and she said it was their policy. When asked about just donating she repied "oh no , all donations have to have Corperate approval". So no mattter what they take sissors and cut up into small pieces before putting in the dumpster. Such a shame ! As so much of what gets tossed could find use !

jaciqltznok 01-30-2012 02:17 PM

sadly this is the norm now....even at Hancocks....after it hits a certain % off if it does not sell, into the dumpster it goes! So sad...BUT they are a business and that means they need to make MONEY..not give their stuff away!

Tink's Mom 01-30-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 4926077)
Another thing that is tossed are books, and magazines, we had to send in the covers to them for credit and Patterns had to be taken out of the envelope, the envelopes were sent in for the credit, that was a long time ago but I think the same applies now.

It still does...I was watching it happen at a Joann's last year. I even made the comment about what a waste. Broken items get written off and dumped in the trash...I don't know about ribbons and such.

susie-susie-susie 01-30-2012 02:37 PM

I remember stores selling books for very low prices without the covers. I think they cannot donate things and get money back from the supplier so they destroy the things rather than donate--more profitable. It's all in the name of profit.
Sue

bakermom 01-30-2012 03:25 PM

Many stores' policy here is after something is marked down 80-90% it is given to GW. I regularly see new clothing and craft items in bins there. As far as something that is broken, the store doesn't want the liability in case of injury. The stores may also have to follow the manufacturers' guidelines as far as disposal, too. As far as something looking perfectly good, it really may not be. Suppose those ribbons were a return item form a heavy smokers home. would you really want the store to try to sell them or donate them? After trying to get smoke out of fabric myself, i would pitch rather than deal with it

ljfox 01-30-2012 03:37 PM

Our Goodwill gets things from Target. You can still see the Target marks on them.

quilter1943 01-30-2012 04:40 PM

Because, unfortunately, people will try to return the items to the store. I've worked in retail and if an item can't be put back on the floor it has to be destroyed because people will return it saying it was damaged and want money back for it. Sad, but true.

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 4926075)
I don't understand the reasoning behind having to throw away these items. Why can't they be donated to some place that could use them? Is this corporate policy or what? If this is corporate policy, maybe we can/should contact the corporate offices to complain about the waste. I can understand dumping food products that are out-of-date, but ribbons, etc.?