Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about long arm quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-long-arm-quilting-t180412.html)

40MPHK9 02-23-2012 12:05 PM

Question about long arm quilting

I took my first 'real' quilt top to be quilted by a LAQ. She told me four weeks. After four weeks, I called her, and she's had some knee issues, so is a little behind. She said, "there are three ahead of you, so I'll probably call you next week".

My question is, how long does it take to quilt a double-bed quilt on a LAQ machine? I have no idea if it's something that takes a day, or four days, or what....I am somewhat mystified by the whole process, and would really love to see one of these things in action!

It has been about a week since I talked to her, so I am getting very excited to see the quilt!! And the wall hanging I took to her, too!

Peckish 02-23-2012 12:27 PM

It depends on a LOT of variables. How much time per day does she spend quilting. How experienced she is. How complicated/dense the quilt pattern is. How big the quilt is. These are all factors that can add to the amount of time it will take.

I would keep in contact with her, just keep sweetly asking about the progress of your quilt, and let her know you're excited because it's your first. I'm a little bothered by the fact that she told you 4 weeks, but at the 4 week mark she still has 3 quilts ahead of yours.

Bobbielinks 02-23-2012 12:36 PM

A double bed quilt quilted with a very simple edge to edge design could take from 2 to 6 hours to quilt. As you can see that is a lot of varience. Then there is the fact that it would also depend how much time the quilter spent per day quilting (1 hour, 3 hours?). And, just how big was the double bed quilt? Some people call a king size a double bed size. Then if there were health or injuries problems that came up, that could add more time. Just keep the communication between your quilter and yourself open. Check on it regularly.

joyce888 02-23-2012 01:10 PM

I've always had to wait at least a month, but I would take the advice of others and keep in contact with her.

sewelegant 02-23-2012 01:24 PM

I took my quilt top to my LQS to be LAQ'd last week. She told me sometime in April. She has 23 quilts ahead of me! Means I have to get started on my Christmas presents now!

knlsmith 02-23-2012 01:32 PM

Bobbielinks is right on the money. If it's a simple edge to edge: for example meandering or loopies, a no more than 6 hours. But if its custom then it just depends on everything. I recently had my back go out and took me 3 weeks to do a smal crib quilt and a full size quilt because I could only go a little at a time and I also work full time.

I agree with the others here, just keep asking her "sweetly" once a week.

and if you would like to go to youtube, there are lots of videos of people using LA's. I LOVe the sound of the machine, and it amazes me how they look when they are all done.

ckcowl 02-23-2012 01:43 PM

every long-arm quilter is different- it does take about 45 minutes just to load it up & get everything ready to start quilting-
i have a 2 week turn around- but there have been times when (life) has happened that caused a delay--in those instances i ALWAY contact the customer and talk to her about what is going on- i do not just leave them wondering.
also i do not take in (23 quilts) !!! if i have 3 quilts in at once i tend to panic- and get them done as fast as possible- i simply do not want a (back-log) or to be responsible for so many (other people's) quilts!!! i can not imagine--
i do know a long-armer who allowed herself to get a year behind----she is (was) an extreme quilter- common to spend 20-30 hours on one quilt---and she didn't know how to say 'no'= just kept taking them in as they came---until she was so overwhelmed she returned un-done many many quilts that she had had for months----
with very disappointed (friends)
i kind of 'watched' this all happen- she was a member of our sewing group-until she didn't even have one night a month available anymore-
so when i started i decided that i would do them as they came in- and if i already have 3 in the house & someone calls i just tell them- i have a number ahead of you right now- i will call you when i get caught up- if you need your quilt done right away- here is the numbers of a couple other's i know you could try---
often they are willing to wait for me- and as soon as the last one i have is loaded-started i call & let them know it's ok to drop off again-
i have had quilts that i had 'problems' with that took me 2-3 weeks to do---then i've had others i get done in 4-5 hours---it just depends on alot of things...but communication is VERY IMPORTANT! personally if you call this quilter and find she still has not started your quilt---i would go pick it up & check with the lqs to find someone else---just the fact she has not stayed in contact with you- to me is a big no-no.

Joset 02-24-2012 04:07 AM

it takes me longer to put on the frame then to quilt it. but have never timed myself.
the biggest i have done is a full.

Tollergirl 02-24-2012 04:17 AM

I am waiting for a quilt that I dropped off in early January, maybe late December. It turns out that she just started it this week. Honestly, she does good work, but I would have rather kept the quilt until she was ready to work on it. I know she has a busy household, but communication is the key.

lfletcher 02-24-2012 06:06 AM

I appreciated reading your response. I am a relatively new longarmer, but had past experience with a midarm. I have been able to build up business quicker than I had planned and like you, I tend to stress if I have more than 3 quilts waiting in the wings. I will adopt your idea of taking no more than 3 and letting people know I will call them when I'm caught up or refer them to a good friend that I know is a good quilter. A 2 week turnaround sounds like a reasonable time to quote people. Thanks.