Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about mailing books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-mailing-books-t94171.html)

harvsstuff 01-26-2011 02:46 PM

For those of you who mail out books, can you tell me if there is a large envelope at the post office that you can use which is flat rate. I know there are boxes.. I will be selling some books and would like to know if I can save money by using these envelopes. thank you, Denise

Nanamoms 01-26-2011 02:51 PM

Denise, yes they have a tyvek type of envelope available. Go to www.usps.gov and look at the materials. They will send them to you for free. I believe though that they are priority mail envelopes so you wouldn't be able to use them for First Class or Media Mail which usually ends up being cheaper than Priority.

mmonohon 01-26-2011 02:53 PM

I am unsure if that is the way you should ship books. The books I have mailed have always been inexpensive. You should check with the post office.

donnajean 01-26-2011 02:56 PM

I use the Priority Flat Rate Mailer which is $4.75 (if shipping label is printed on USPS.com website) & if using the website, you get "free" Delivery confirmation. I can get a couple soft cover books in the Flat Rate Mailer & the mailer is free. There is now a "legal" size Flat Rate Mailer that goes for $4.95 & a Flat Rate bubble envelope for $4.95.

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
For those of you who mail out books, can you tell me if there is a large envelope at the post office that you can use which is flat rate. I know there are boxes.. I will be selling some books and would like to know if I can save money by using these envelopes. thank you, Denise

Rntraveler 01-26-2011 02:57 PM

Depends on how you want to sell them... I think if it's media mail you provide your own or wrap them. I am not aware of any packaging from the PO that doesn't cost you.

I talked to the post office a couple of days ago about media mail. It takes 5 to 10 "working" days on the "average"... which means don't count holidays, Sundays, or days when the delivery person can't make it there. We had a few people here in the Tenn valley area that didn't get mail for a few days..Now, the average can be longer.

Getting a confirmation cost about .80cents more and doesn't get it there any quicker. I sold several books at a really great price compared to what I have seen posted for sale here.

The other thing is that first class can sometimes be cheaper.. check the online PO for rates..

amma 01-26-2011 03:33 PM

If you go to the PO's online site, you can order different sized mailing envelopes that are Priority Flat Rate prices. These are all free of charge.

I have been told that some are only available online, and they will deliver them to you at no cost.

Rntraveler 01-26-2011 03:44 PM

But, they go at a priority rate which is more...

frugalfabrics 01-26-2011 07:11 PM

Media Rate and First Class is usually cheaper than the Priority Rate...so it would be cheaper to buy PolyMailer Envelopes and mail the books out at the cheaper rate.

Don't put them in an envelope - I learned the hard way, that it's a risk!

quiltinghere 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Last time I mailed out a book I wrapped a couple of sheets of newspaper and then wrapped it in a brown grocery bag taped well.

Mailed book rate for $2.77 and plus delivery confirmation .80. The post office does mark the packaging MEDIA so everyone knows. I also think I read somewhere that if it's media mail the P.O. can open it to verify that it's actually only books (no magazines, etc.)

It's easy and cheap.

squilter 01-26-2011 09:03 PM

When mailing media mail at our post office, we now have to take the pkg. and contents to the post office so they can verify it is books before it can be shipped. I think that stinks.