Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about mailing quilts ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-mailing-quilts-t276300.html)

GailG 03-02-2016 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7482264)
I used to use UPS but they don't require signatures any more. Just drop the package at the door and leave. Now I use the post office. They will insure, track and require signature if requested

I use the USPO Priority Mail for the same reason. Glad to know about the signature. I didn't know I could request that.

quiltingshorttimer 03-02-2016 08:15 PM

I like USPO Priority Mail-rates are reasonable and they get a signature.

Bree123 03-02-2016 10:46 PM

I mail quilts to clients via USPS with insurance. It's sometimes a tiny bit slower (helps if you use the ZIP + 4 -- you can look that up online at usps.com) but it always arrives in good condition & it's crazy expensive. My second choice would be UPS. I can't imagine there ever being a situation where I would pay to send a quilt via FedEx. There are 2 options for FedEx packages -- standard FedEx which is very expensive & I would only use that for financial or legal documents or if something were an absolute emergency. The second is FedEx via the US Mail. That is pretty reasonable but it's been my experience that it gets lost and delayed pretty often. I've also seen a lot of complaints about that service. RadioShack used to send all their online orders that way & I usually would get them like 3 weeks later.

ckcowl 03-02-2016 11:33 PM

I've been using USPS priority mail, with insurance & delivery confirmation for years without incident. The one time I had a customer that requested UPS it turned out to be a nightmare! The quilt going from Michigan to Texas took 2 1/2 months. A huge amount of stress on both ends. I decided I will stick with the good old post office.

jacqueck 03-03-2016 02:28 AM

One caution. Never put on the shipping papers there is a quilt inside and don't label the outside of the box. I just put "linens" or "fabric" when identifying the package. Too many quilts have disappeared when labeled. It's a caution I often see on the instructions for sending quilts to shows too.

paoberle 03-03-2016 04:38 AM

Go to someplace like Office Depot that uses ALL the carriers. They can give you the prices and advantages/disadvantages for each carrier.

cmilton 03-03-2016 09:43 AM

I use USPO . I always pack in plastic bag before i pack in box.

Boston1954 03-03-2016 09:48 AM

I used the Post Office. It did not get there. I would use UPS in the future.

ManiacQuilter2 03-03-2016 09:50 AM

I ship USPS Priority mail but make sure the quilt is enclosed in a pillowcase and include your address and the address the quilt is being shipped to. Make sure you secure the label to the package. My friend mailed a quilt and the label fell off in transit so all that arrived was the label.

toverly 03-03-2016 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jacqueck (Post 7482712)
One caution. Never put on the shipping papers there is a quilt inside and don't label the outside of the box. I just put "linens" or "fabric" when identifying the package. Too many quilts have disappeared when labeled. It's a caution I often see on the instructions for sending quilts to shows too.

I think this is a must also, I put "blanket" on it if I have to give a description. I use USPS.