Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about making a baby quilt from baby clothes. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-making-baby-quilt-baby-clothes-t168692.html)

susanwilley 11-17-2011 11:59 AM

Question about making a baby quilt from baby clothes.

I am currently working on a baby quilt for my great niece's baby using her baby clothes. I have three rows complteted and it seems to be working up pretty good considering all the stretchy fabric. My question to all who have made quilts using baby clothes...does the quilt seem to be extemely heavy for a quilt? Or is it just me? I can't imagine a little toddler trying to drag this thing around. And, if I put batting in, it's going to be that much heavier, I would think. Do you use batting and how do you quilt stretchy fabric? I'm worried that I will stretch it out of shape.

Annaquilts 11-17-2011 12:13 PM

Yes, it is heavy. I do consignment quilts like that but have not made any for my children. One of the things to do is limit the type of fabrics used and the size of the quilt. Maybe a smaller lap blanket is more ideal. All t he people who had me make quilts out of baby clothes wanted large twin size quilts. In my opinion they are heavy. I would leave the batting out or use polly. also when you use the iron on interfacing use the light weight one.

fluffygirl 11-17-2011 01:48 PM

Try the feel of flannel for the batting. It will add a little body, but not be as heavy as cotton batting. It may be better to leave out the batting or use poly as Annaquilts said.

Pat

susanwilley 11-17-2011 02:16 PM

Thanks so much for your help Anna and Pat! I like the idea of the flannel for batting and adding a little body might help to keep it's shape. I'll pin the back on first to see how it is without batting too.
Susan

QuiltnNan 11-17-2011 02:16 PM

thanks for bringing this up. i had not given the weight any thought. i'm planning on making one when my DD is ready to give up the baby clothes.

momto5 11-17-2011 05:34 PM

I make these on consignment also, but not for use on a bed or for a child to carry around. They are too heavy. All of mine are hung on the wall so the weight is not a particular issue. I use iron-on fusible interfacing and a light-weight batting...haven't tried just putting flannel inside instead of using regular batting...hmmmm

deemail 11-17-2011 05:36 PM

if using flannel inside, be sure to wash 3 or 4 times...it shrinks more than once...and you don't want it to shrink AFTER you assemble...

Kat Sews 11-17-2011 07:17 PM

When I use stretchy knits I add a very light weight pellon to the back before cutting and sewing. Much easier to work with.

msbRON 11-18-2011 07:13 AM

I've wondered about how one would do a baby clothes quilt. I've wondered how it would work to cut the item apart and only work with the front of the item.

lfstamper 11-18-2011 07:22 AM

Please show pics when you are finished. Thanks.