Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question About Marking Tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-marking-tools-t84269.html)

Ps 150 12-21-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have depended on this board to "find" the best marking system and the only one that a majority like is the chacoliner chalk roller. I've yet to try it - haven't had to mark in a while, but I will soon and it's a mixed light/dark quilt so I plan to buy two different color markers. I did use kid's washable markers (at first, and even now) I find I'm most comfortable with thick lines. I've heard yellow doesn't come out and no colors come out if ironed. I used tons of Shout. But I'm ready to move on.

Well...I will say that earlier this month I had a disaster with the chacoliner chalk roller. Even though I've never had a problem with them, I tested it out on my fabrics that were in a quilt and it brushed off fine so I used it to mark my quilting lines. After that, it wouldn't come out of two of the fabrics! I tried everything and nothing brought it out. Someone on here suggested that the heat of the needle and machine bed from a day of use must have set the chalk into the fabric... :cry: I tried it again this week on a trial placemat, just as a precaution before trying it on the actual placemats and it did it again, before my machine was warmed up. I think it just mixes wrong with some of the finishes on some fabrics. I will never use it again. It went in the trash just yesterday.

leatheflea 12-21-2010 03:27 PM

I've had the same problem, havent tried the ones that the iron takes out. Dont even know where to get them. But I've ruined some great quilts trying out new marking gadgests.

donac 12-21-2010 03:36 PM

This is a topic I have been very interested in. I am a tape person. I do a lot of straight line hand quilting and I use painters tape and 1/4 in tape to mark when I have the piece in my hoop. I never leave it on more than a day.

This is all that I can suggest.

117becca 12-21-2010 03:45 PM

i'm a #2 pencil or tape person. If i can't mark the quilt w/ one of those 2 utensils, i do something different. I mark light enough that i can see where to quilt w/ the pencil. Alot of times it just wears off.

CindyBee 12-21-2010 03:56 PM

I use a light graphite mechanical pencil on the lighter fabrics. A white art eraser will erase those marks. On darker fabrics I use a sliver of white Dove soap. I shave it down to a sharp edge. Those marks come out in the wash. Simple, easy, inexpensive and guaranteed to work any time, every time.

gale 12-21-2010 03:58 PM

I use a white chaco liner. I have a yellow but it doesn't seem to come out as easily. If I'm using light fabric where the chaco liner doesn't show, I use masking tape. I only do straight line quilting though.

Flying_V_Goddess 12-21-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I got fustrated with all those pencils as they wouldn't mark very dark so went to a thin marker and I was always off because of the bleeding. I found that the gel pens work well.

Cool! I'm not the only one who uses gel pens as marking tools!

gale 12-21-2010 04:05 PM

I read that the frixion (sp??) pens wash out well. I have some but never tried it.

Ps 150 12-21-2010 06:50 PM

I used the tape when doing straight line marking but for my free motion quilting stitches I needed something different. I hadn't thought of #2 pencils or the Dove soap. The chaco liner I used was yellow so I tossed it. I haven't tried the white yet. The iron-off marker is sold at Joann's.

Boopers 12-21-2010 08:19 PM

I use the "Pounce pads and stencils" as I find this a much easier method and the powder irons off.