Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about matching seams... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-matching-seams-t192397.html)

Silver Needle 06-21-2012 01:33 PM

I have changed to pressing seams open also. It has improved my piecing 100%. I stick a pin straight through where the stitching is, 1/4 from the edge. Then making sure the pin is seated perfectly straight (not tipped up or down) in both pieces, I put a pin in the right seam allowance. I sew right up to the pin when stitching so the left half of the seam is anchored. Remove the pin and go til the next one. Not as tedious as it sounds....but if you hate pinning this method is not for you. I get a group of blocks ready then sit in the recliner in front of the TV and pin as large a group as possible. You must treat the blocks gently though or the seams will come unstitched at the edge. As long as it isn't more than 1/4" you are ok. I use a pretty short stitch length when sewing.

nativetexan 06-21-2012 01:36 PM

sometimes you can just turn one nine patch to make the seams nestle. if not, flip it by hand, sew and then later press it down again the new way!

alisonquilts 06-21-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 5306507)
I sometimes have that problem too. I really try to plan out how I press my seams so that I get nesting seams. But when that doesn't work out so well, I usually choose to flip one seam in the opposing direction and finger press, then pin.

This is what I do too. I love the nesting effect of alternate seams. Also, pressed-to-the-side seams seem less likely to have batting fuzz through them as time goes by.

Alison

Kitsie 06-21-2012 01:59 PM

Yeah, me too. Nothing wrong with "flipping" the seam to make it nest.

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 5306524)
This may not be the "correct" way to overcome this issue... but .. I just re-press about 1/2" of the offending seam... nest .... sew and then clip the seam allowance I sewed to allow it to return to original position..I use the pinwheel method to flatten the joined seams of the 4 connecting blocks...this works for me be it wrong or right... :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

mucky 06-21-2012 02:08 PM

I don't do a lot od seam pressing until assembling the blocks and then put them whichever way they work. My goal is to sew a top with all the seams correct. Haven't accomplished it yet!

StacyMae 06-21-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5306488)
Back up 6 feet or so. Can you still see it? If you can't, then don't worry about it so much.

Lol, that is my general philosophy as well :) Although, I was always told to press to one side I may have to try open.

Kat Sews 06-21-2012 03:52 PM

You could try pinning the seams exactly in the stitching of the two pieces, then sew up to the pin as close as possible before pulling it out. I works in a pinch when repressing the seam the other way will cause problems on the next row.

joyce888 06-21-2012 04:11 PM

I press almost all of my seams open for that very reason. I find it's so much easier to match seams and I never get a tuck at the intersection.

Tartan 06-21-2012 06:02 PM

I just finished a lap size top in D9P too and ran into the same problem. I pressed all my seams the same on the original 9patches but when I cut them and turned them, some ended up with the seams going the same way and some not. I just went ahead and sewed them the way they were
pressed. It worked fine but the part that bugs me is that even though I measured the center line carefully some of the cornerstones are not lining up with the next block. Oh well, maybe the next one quilt top will be perfect. I've been saying that for the last 20 years I think.

babalu 06-21-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5306488)
Back up 6 feet or so. Can you still see it? If you can't, then don't worry about it so much.

Perfect! Thanks...this is what I'm going with! (I really am NOT a perfectionist...not even close. I just didn't want to think I missing something obvious!)