Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about minkee or minky (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-minkee-minky-t192227.html)

carol45 06-19-2012 02:28 PM

question about minkee or minky

Does anyone know if there are differences in quality among different types of minkee? I bought some in Joanns that never stops shedding. Is all minkee like that? I would love to use it in some baby quilts, but the forever shedding is not good. I would have thought that after the item is completed and washed, it would stop shedding--I thought that only the cut edges would shed--not so with the Joanns stuff.

pollyjvan9 06-19-2012 03:01 PM

Wow, I will have to check with some people I have given baby quilts to. I do wash on gentle and air dry baby quilts before I give them as gifts, but never thought about how they washed after that. I will keep watching this, like to know the answer also.

Peckish 06-19-2012 03:08 PM

I have asked this very question at Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon, and have been told there IS a difference. "Minkee" is actually a brand name for the product, much like "Kleenex" is a brand name for facial tissue. Fabric Depot carries a similar product called Cuddle. However, having said that, I'm not sure which brand is best and if there is one that won't shed as much. I have yet to be impressed with anything purchased at Joann's.

ckcowl 06-19-2012 03:24 PM

there are huge differences in quality just like many other fabrics---and the minkie's i have used (and i have backed about 17 quilts with minkie to date) only shed along the cut edge when first cut- i tend to order it in the size pieces i need- so i do not have to cut it once i receive it- then when it arrives i take it out of the package outside & give it a good shake- once i use it & wash the quilt i've never had any further shedding....i don't understand why it would still shed after being sewn---but i do not shop at joannes so do not know what it is they are carrying- calling minkie.
i have some wonderful buttery yellow minkie from fabric.com right now that is just waiting for the perfect quilt to go with- i love minkie! my granddaughter's call it the 'get naked' blankies---they love wrapping up in their's when they get out of their baths :)

tngal22 06-19-2012 06:10 PM

I have used several different colors of minky from JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. All shed when first cut but after the first wash, they have been fine. My daughter uses a blanket that has minky on the back, red actually, and it does fine with a weekly wash with her other bedding.

I have just bought some "spa" minky from Fabric.com but have not used it yet.

Sunnye 06-20-2012 05:53 AM

I think there is a difference. The first "minky" I bought at Joann's seemed fine; no bleeding, soft, but did 'shed' and I had to wear my mask. But I had never used it before so thought that was what it was.
The next piece I bought at Joann's was not as soft. Acted the same, but still not as soft (it's a little stiff feeling) even after washing.
After all the bleeding I had with the flannels, the thinness of the cottons and the stiff minky, I'll stay away from Joann's fabrics; just use them for other things.

Tink's Mom 06-20-2012 06:56 AM

Minky is different from all the different manufacturers...
I just finished using some in a baby quilt for grandbaby...it was a bit difficult as it stretches when being stitched and the cotton doesn't...let's just say that my seamripper was being used quite a bit.