Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Muslin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-muslin-t221095.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 05-10-2013 04:58 AM

Some people don't like muslin, but I like it fine. You are going to use batting between the layers so it won't be see through when you're done.

I also echo Prism's comment up there about how it shrinks up. ;)

twinkie 05-11-2013 02:59 AM

I agree with the comments above. Most times I am not a "name brand" shopper when it comes to fabric, I usually go by feel and sight. However when putting this much work into quilt, or when shopping on line, quality really matters.

snipforfun 05-11-2013 04:03 AM

I used Moda muslin in the quilt in my avatar along with Ricky Tims hand dyes. I buy it by the bolt from Hancocks of Paducah so Im sure I get the same dye lot. Not all muslin is created equal!

Aurora 05-11-2013 04:51 AM

I purchased some heavyweight unbleached muslin at Walmart ($3.97/yd.) that I am using for hand embroidery and really like it. I am not sure how it would be quilting as it is firmer than most other cottons.

#1piecemaker 05-11-2013 05:17 AM

I use Muslin a lot for backing but I don't know about the front. I guess it would work. It does okay for the backs.

Lori S 05-11-2013 05:27 AM

Just a few comments, Roc Lon makes several qualities of muslin. I think there are seven or eight different quality muslins produced by Roc Lon. I prefer the Roc Lon that says permanent press, preshrunk( there is still some shrinkage but not as much as non-shrunk) it is Roc Lon 403 or 404 depending on bleached or unbleached. This is such a staple for me I buy it by the bolt.
Kona is a registered trade mark of Robert Kaufman , no other company can use it. The quality is very good. Moda muslin is also very good quality.
I have had recient good luck with wide muslin at JoAnns marketed under the Legacy Brand. I went for the Wide Kona , they were out , but the bolt of wide Legacy was a surprise at how nice the quality really was.

jrhboxers 05-11-2013 05:33 AM

I just finished a blue/green/white batik quilt for my son. I wanted a really nice feel, sturdy, thick, true white fabric for the piecing and the back. After several different purchases at different kinds, I found that the Legacy Studio Bleached White 112" wide is the best. It is the same price as the Roc-Lon and Sew Essentials, but a much better quality, IMHO. You might want to check it out. I have always loved the feel of the Legacy Studio prints and now I love the solids too. I hope that they start making more solid colors. HTH

nananurse 05-11-2013 07:15 AM

For my wholecloth quilt I used 108" fabric for the top and backing, It worked beautifully!

Prism99 05-11-2013 10:10 AM

I think the confusion about Kaufman Kona is because there is a manufacturer by the name of Kona Bay. Solid colors made by Kona Bay are not the same quality as Kona solids made by Kaufman.

IBQUILTIN 05-11-2013 10:27 AM

I think if I were going to do a wholecloth, I would want a quilt shop quality white for the front, you could use the muslin on the back, but I believe you will be happier with a better fabric to do all that intricate work on.