Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about piecing the backing for a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-piecing-backing-quilt-t278492.html)

osewme 05-09-2016 05:56 PM

Question about piecing the backing for a quilt

I just finished a wedding quilt & included 5 orphan blocks on the back but I found it very, very difficult to line them up with the top. When I layer my quilt I put the back down first, then the batting, then the top. I'm wondering if it would be easier to put the top down first since it is already squared up. Just curious as to how everyone who pieces backs keep them even (lined up) with the top. I was not sure how to ask this question & hope it makes sense. Now that I've made one pieced back I want to make more.

QuiltnLady1 05-09-2016 06:15 PM

When I piece my backs I prefer not to have the blocks on the back line up since I don't want the bulk of having the seams coinciding.

PaperPrincess 05-09-2016 06:20 PM

It can be difficult to line up a pieced back, especially if you want something centered. A good idea is to place the additional blocks or seams off center so you are only trying to line something up either top to bottom or left to right, not both. What I have done is use thumb tacks. Put the tacks thru the points in the back that you want to align. You can cover the heads with masking tape to keep them in place temporarily. Put the backing down, CAREFULLY smooth the batting on. Then again, CAREFULLY layer the top, using the tacks to align the places on top with the backing. when the sandwich is complete, remove the tacks.

Doggramma 05-09-2016 06:21 PM

I don't pay attention about lining them up either. Once I lined up the back blocks and the quilt recipient thought it was awesome, but it was accidental.

Jeanne S 05-09-2016 07:06 PM

I also do not try to line up the pieced back with the front.

Jane Quilter 05-09-2016 07:50 PM

I never line them up either.

Mariposa 05-09-2016 08:39 PM

I don't line mine up either. More fun to just be creative, and let seams fall where they may. ;)

DOTTYMO 05-09-2016 09:51 PM

A Laq friend dislikes pieced backs where they line up seams. The combination of both sets of seams throws her machine off line or breaks a needle. Slightly off line she has no problems. I like a non- pieced back.

gingerd 05-10-2016 02:39 AM

I too don't line the backs up with the fronts. It's too much to think about.

I just use what I have to make the backs. Some are large blocks, some are small, some strips.......

Maureen NJ 05-10-2016 04:17 AM

I have read, probably here, about people using painters tape to tape bamboo skewers to the right side one of the quilt back, both vertically and horizontally and then basting. Of course, this would not work for LAQ. I wish I knew about this when I was trying to line up a plaid backing that I didn't want cock-eyed!