Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a question about proportion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-proportion-t40747.html)

jljack 03-26-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pam1966
The proportion to me look about six to one. You might want to draw it out on graph paper until it looks right.

On the other hand, you could always go with a Red Sox theme. :D (Can you tell I'm not a Yankees fan?)

HA_HA!!! That's what my DH would say!!! He's a die hard RED SOX fan!!!

craftybear 03-26-2010 03:10 PM

this site has blue and white pinstripe fabric, not sure if it is what you want lots of pages of fabrics to look at

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/se...nstripe+fabric

quiltluvr 03-26-2010 03:33 PM

Rose,
How are you painting the walls? Color, etc? Any other decorations?

When my son was younger I did a baseball themed room. I found the perfect wallpaper, white with navy pinstripes. The border matched the drapes.

I'm just trying to envision how you may put the room together. If you did the same to the walls, it would blend too much, unless you intentionally made the curtains with a wider pinstripe to offset the space and/or bring in more of the blue to offset the white.

I hope I'm making sense. Typing what I'm thinking is not my forte. :lol:

Another thought, if you can't find the right fabric, and painting them on was already mentioned (just me, but I wouldn't choose that route either,) but what about white fabric and use embroidery floss and do a straight stitch to replicate the pinstripes. Another way is that it could also be done in such a way that it could look like the thickness of baseball stitching.

OK, maybe it's the lack of cold caffeine (Pepsi) affecting me right now. I getter grab a can and join the living! :lol:

dkabasketlady 03-26-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
Hi everyone,

I have another question for you. I can't find navy/white pinstripe fabric for the nursery curtains, so I have decided to make it. What width should I make the white stripes and the navy stripes? We are doing the nursery in NY Yankees--so think about their uniforms. That's what I want the curtains to look like.

I was thinking a 4" white stripe and a 1 1/2" navy stripe? maybe? I want these to look right! Maybe a 6" white stripe instead?

I have a die cut machine to cut the strips, so this doesn't sound as involved as it would be if I were rotary cutting. I just want to get it right.

Please help! thanks for any advice!

Rose Hall

Hi, Rose
How much fabric do you need for your curtains? I have some fabric that will work for you. I got it from JoAnn's 3-4 yrs. ago and is pinstripe. I have almost 3 yds. and a remnant of the same of 22 ins. There's nothing on the selvage edge, so I don't know who makes it, but I do still have the remnant in the wrapper with the article #755-9594. I also have two pcs. of Robert Kaufman fabric of opposite stripes both pcs. are 1 1/2 - 2 yds. and has "Patroits" on the selvage. Will this help you? I don't know how to post pics.(my DD will be visiting from IN. next week to show me), but you can pm me if you're interested in it. You could use the RK fabric for valances. Dennise

Rose Hall 03-28-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
this site has blue and white pinstripe fabric, not sure if it is what you want lots of pages of fabrics to look at

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/se...nstripe+fabric

Have you ordered from this website before??? I did find some navy/white stripe fabric that will work. Not quite perfect, but for $3, it'll work! Please let me know your experiences with this website.

thanks!
Rose

quilter68 03-28-2010 09:01 AM

Morning Rose,
I would also consider the theme of the room/house. ie: Arts&Crafte equals about 1/3 to 2/3 ratio.

Victorian = lots of stripes but skinny ones. ETC.

I'll look for your final choice.

Kathleen (quilter68)

Rose Hall 03-29-2010 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
Hi everyone,

I have another question for you. I can't find navy/white pinstripe fabric for the nursery curtains, so I have decided to make it. What width should I make the white stripes and the navy stripes? We are doing the nursery in NY Yankees--so think about their uniforms. That's what I want the curtains to look like.

I was thinking a 4" white stripe and a 1 1/2" navy stripe? maybe? I want these to look right! Maybe a 6" white stripe instead?

I have a die cut machine to cut the strips, so this doesn't sound as involved as it would be if I were rotary cutting. I just want to get it right.

Please help! thanks for any advice!

Rose Hall

Hi, Rose
How much fabric do you need for your curtains? I have some fabric that will work for you. I got it from JoAnn's 3-4 yrs. ago and is pinstripe. I have almost 3 yds. and a remnant of the same of 22 ins. There's nothing on the selvage edge, so I don't know who makes it, but I do still have the remnant in the wrapper with the article #755-9594. I also have two pcs. of Robert Kaufman fabric of opposite stripes both pcs. are 1 1/2 - 2 yds. and has "Patroits" on the selvage. Will this help you? I don't know how to post pics.(my DD will be visiting from IN. next week to show me), but you can pm me if you're interested in it. You could use the RK fabric for valances. Dennise

thank you for the kind offer! I think I need about 12 yards. I have several windows.
Rose

Rose Hall 07-11-2010 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well,
I finished Malachi's curtains last week. the proportions are quite right--so I told my DH that the curtains were in the "spirit" of the Yankees!

I also finished the diaper holder and was able to hang the baseball quilt my Mom made.

Rose

Curtains
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78677[/ATTACH]

Diaper holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78678[/ATTACH]

Mom's baseball quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78770[/ATTACH]

Sharon321 07-11-2010 05:23 PM

So cute. Way to go.