Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about quilt backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilt-backing-t279634.html)

RosaSharon 06-16-2016 04:58 AM

question about quilt backing

I notice that quilt backing is "cheaper" (more affordable) than piecing cotton. Does anyone use the backing such as the kind they have in online fabric stores for piecing? What is the difference? I would probably cut it in half right away in order to make it easier to work with. Any comments would be helpful for this newbie. (4 years of quilting, but still very new at it.) TIA [thanks in advance.]

pocoellie 06-16-2016 05:32 AM

For backings, I use either muslin or sheets, for the muslin I prefer the wide. I've also used polar fleece with no batting. I would use whatever works for YOU, and don't pay much attention to the "quilt police."

Garden Gnome 06-16-2016 05:37 AM

I don't know why you couldn't use it for piecing. There is usually just not the range of colors and patterns in the backing as there is in the quilters' cotton. I often use the same fabric on the back as some that I used on the front. As previous poster said "there are no quilt police."

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2016 05:40 AM

I usually like to use good fabric for my backing as I do on the quilt top. I normally make lap size quilts for charity so I use the extra fabric from the quilt top on the backing so I get the size I need.

dunster 06-16-2016 05:52 AM

I have used leftover pieces of the wide quilt backing for piecing several times. Some of them are great quality with beautiful designs.

bj 06-16-2016 06:36 AM

I always end up with backing fabric left over which goes in with my scraps. I've only had one backing fabric that I didn't like for piecing because it was a little heavier feeling. But I did use it in another quilt for sashing strips and it worked fine.

tessagin 06-16-2016 06:51 AM

I use what I have on hand. I have sheets and lots of scraps from sheets from estate sales. Muslin what ever works for the piece I'm working on.

luvstoquilt 06-16-2016 07:13 AM

I agree with Dunster! I use the leftovers and they are nice quality. I always buy mine at the LQS.

bigsister63 06-16-2016 07:20 AM

I thought that the only difference between backing and "cotton" is the width most backing being 108" not 40". Sometimes backing does feel difference but you should be able to use it in the front of the quilt. 108" backing is much easier to work with than piecing 40" fabric together. I try to use wide backing unless I cannot find a good color. Sometimes I will make my own backing from left over fabric but this is really a pain. What I do is start with a square in the middle and keep adding wide border until I get the size I need.

Snooze2978 06-16-2016 07:26 AM

Yes, I use backing for piecing all the time. I hit my local fabric store from time to time to see what they have on clearance in the backing fabrics. Sometimes they'll have only about a yard of a fabric but its 108" wide so you're getting 3 yds for the price of one give or take a few bucks.