Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about quilt pattern #1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilt-pattern-1-a-t295398.html)

rknarr3 03-10-2018 05:33 PM

Question about quilt pattern #1

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,
My mom wants to sell her quilts. So, I was wondering what the quilt pattern is on this quilt see 1st pic.
Also, there are some water stains on the backing of the quilt see the last 3 pics. Thank you so much for your advice.
Best Regards,
Rob

cjsews 03-10-2018 05:38 PM

This is a lemoyne star. Others will offer tips on cleaning the stains.

rknarr3 03-10-2018 05:57 PM

Thank you for identifying the pattern.
Rob

quiltingshorttimer 03-10-2018 06:04 PM

go to a quilt shop and get some Restoration--follow the directions and make sure that you lift the quilts out of the washer carefully so no stitchs pop or aged fabric tears--then lay flat to dry--no NOT hang or run through dryer as the batting may be old and clump and the fabric may shred when hung. Nice quilts.

Prism99 03-10-2018 07:41 PM

I would use Retro Clean. It is available from Amazon, but here is their website with information about what it is and how to use it: http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

I assume these quilts have been washed in the past? If they have not been washed, the dyes may bleed if the quilt is soaked. If they have not been washed before, I would take them to a laundromat and put a single quilt in one of their large front-loading washers with Synthrapol. Wash in cold water, remove immediately from machine (you do not want damp fabric sitting on damp fabric for very long, as dye can get transferred). Dry on medium or low (not hot!) at the laundromat. If that does not take the stains out, you can soak in Retro Clean.

Whatever you do, do NOT use a washing machine with a central agitator. Those central agitators are very hard on quilts. Also, do not use a domestic front loader. They do not use enough water. A domestic top-loading washing machine is okay if there is no central agitator. If you use a top-loader, the best way to wash a quilt is to fill the tub with water and soap (or Retro Clean), stop the washer, add the quilt, and push down periodically with your hands. In other words, hand agitate the quilt. When washing is finished, drain and spin. Spinning is usually okay for a quilt. Add rinse water, hand agitate, drain and spin out. Use at least 2 rinses to get all of the soap out.

Edit: I looked at your posting history and found out that these quilts were collected from your parents, with some being from the 1980's and some older. You do need to be very careful cleaning these quilts. Are you thinking of selling on eBay? You may not need to wash them at all, as many of the quilts for sale there have stains. You just need to include the stains in the description and photos. This would be less work for you, and people who buy quilts on eBay generally will know how to remove the stains themselves.

rknarr3 03-10-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 8019659)
I would use Retro Clean. It is available from Amazon, but here is their website with information about what it is and how to use it: http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

I assume these quilts have been washed in the past? If they have not been washed, the dyes may bleed if the quilt is soaked. If they have not been washed before, I would take them to a laundromat and put a single quilt in one of their large front-loading washers with Synthrapol. Wash in cold water, remove immediately from machine (you do not want damp fabric sitting on damp fabric for very long, as dye can get transferred). Dry on medium or low (not hot!) at the laundromat. If that does not take the stains out, you can soak in Retro Clean.

Whatever you do, do NOT use a washing machine with a central agitator. Those central agitators are very hard on quilts. Also, do not use a domestic front loader. They do not use enough water. A domestic top-loading washing machine is okay if there is no central agitator. If you use a top-loader, the best way to wash a quilt is to fill the tub with water and soap (or Retro Clean), stop the washer, add the quilt, and push down periodically with your hands. In other words, hand agitate the quilt. When washing is finished, drain and spin. Spinning is usually okay for a quilt. Add rinse water, hand agitate, drain and spin out. Use at least 2 rinses to get all of the soap out.

Edit: I looked at your posting history and found out that these quilts were collected from your parents, with some being from the 1980's and some older. You do need to be very careful cleaning these quilts. Are you thinking of selling on eBay? You may not need to wash them at all, as many of the quilts for sale there have stains. You just need to include the stains in the description and photos. This would be less work for you, and people who buy quilts on eBay generally will know how to remove the stains themselves.

Yes, I am thinking of selling on ebay as well as facebook yardsales and craigslist. Thank you for the suggestions. Take care. Rob

rknarr3 03-10-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8019624)
go to a quilt shop and get some Restoration--follow the directions and make sure that you lift the quilts out of the washer carefully so no stitchs pop or aged fabric tears--then lay flat to dry--no NOT hang or run through dryer as the batting may be old and clump and the fabric may shred when hung. Nice quilts.

Thank you for the directions, instructions and the product name and where to obtain it. Best regards, Rob

SusieQOH 03-11-2018 06:08 AM

I've had great success with RetroClean.
Also- just a thought here- I wouldn't list on Craig's list. You won't get anything for them there.

Innov8R 03-11-2018 08:20 AM

A few sellers have vintage quilts on Etsy. I have no idea how many they sell.

rknarr3 03-11-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Innov8R (Post 8019849)
A few sellers have vintage quilts on Etsy. I have no idea how many they sell.

Thank you for the advice