Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about quilting and applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilting-applique-t214805.html)

wpbmommy1 02-25-2013 04:19 AM

Question about quilting and applique

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I have a question about a quilt that I am currently working on. I want to quilt about 1/4 inch outside of all of the tumbler seams. I haven't decided how to quilt the polka dot border yet. Maybe hearts. Anyway, see the white row of tumblers on the top? I am going to applique the name there and I am also going to applique a few elephants on the tumblers. Do I quilt the entire top and then add the applique? Because I don't want the quilting over my letters or elephants. I have that lite and bond stuff. Do you think I can manage a hand blanket stitch around the letters without it coming through to the back? or should I not worry about that and? Also, do you think it is too much pink and white polka dot if I do the letters using the pink? I'm definitely doing the elephants in the pink polka dot. Thanks for your input. I need to have this to someone by Wednesday so I will be quilting tonight.
Annette[ATTACH=CONFIG]397773[/ATTACH]

alleyoop1 02-25-2013 04:49 AM

I think it will look lovely. Yes, you can applique after the quilting is done. Have fun with it.

Jackie Spencer 02-25-2013 04:59 AM

I do my fusible applique, using a buttonhole stitch before I do the quilting. Then you don't have to worry about the stitching on the back, and your not stitching thru so many layers. I love your quilt, would like to see another photo after its quilted.

gramajo 02-25-2013 05:28 AM

I think I would use something other than the polka dot for the name (maybe purple). I think the name in the polka dots would get a little lost so close to the polka dot border. Elephants in the polka dot on the tumblers would be so cute.

Tartan 02-25-2013 05:35 AM

I find it easier to do my appliqués on just the top. Can it be done after the quilt is sandwiched and quilted, sure it's just more difficult to hide the knots at the end of your thread that you use to do your buttonhole stitch. Your Tumbler top is really cute and the name in the bright pink polka dot would look great!

FubsyMog 02-25-2013 06:09 AM

I am also making a quilt that has fusible applique added to it at the minute. I decided to stitch the applique (will be using a machine rather than hand-sewing) before quilting. I thought I would find it quite difficult to finish the applique after quilting, because of all the layers (like a poster above mentioned). Just my thoughts!

mighty 02-25-2013 07:24 AM

I would applique before quilting.

Luv Quilts and Cats 02-25-2013 08:03 AM

I would applique before quilting. I find it easier that way. Someone suggested using purple for the letters of the name. I think that is a great idea.

ailene 02-25-2013 08:04 AM

The pink polka dot lettering may be too much pink, I would consider doing it in another color to match the quilt, maybe a pretty blue or purple. Also, you want to applique the top before quilting, it is so much easier that way. You have to quilt around the appliques whether hand quilting or machine quilting. It isn't as difficult as appliquing after quilting.

wpbmommy1 02-25-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks for your input! I am going to try a letter in a solid purple that I have and see how that looks. I might have enough purple to piece together some binding too!! I'll post a finished pic to the gallery. I'm so excited, the tumbler template was super easy to use. I may just do a zig zag instead of a blanket stitch. Thank you so very much!