Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Quilts of Valor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-quilts-valor-t299872.html)

Blueridgebeverly 09-29-2018 04:00 AM

Question about Quilts of Valor

My Dad will turn 96 October 28. He is a WWII vet. I think a Quilt of Valor would be very meaningful for him.

I’ve only been quilting for a little more than a year and am not involved in a guild. I’m not sure of the protocol for QOV. I’m trying to decide if I should try to contact a local (to him) group, a local to me group, or maybe make him one myself. My skill set hasn’t matured past SITD, so I’d probably want to pay someone to do the quilting.

I googled it and did find a website dedicated to QOV. It included guidelines to make them, donate them, and request one for a veteran.

I’m a little worried about timeline for requesting one given his age.

I thought I would ask advice here. Is it kosher for me to make him one? Would it still be possible to get something that authenticates it as a QOV.......I think that recognition would mean something special to him. Should I contact a group in his area?

thanks in advance for your advice.

meyert 09-29-2018 04:21 AM

oh wow!! I hope that he gets one!! My LQS just started a quilts of valor chapter... but we are waaaay at the bottom of Indiana. If we were closer I would be sure that he was on our list

of course you can make one for him... but I completely understand your wanting the QOV being the top choice

I would definitely reach out to local group.

EIQuilter 09-29-2018 04:24 AM

I'd suggest contacting a group in your area or in his. I know our local group puts a priority on awarding quilts to veterans who are older or who are in ill health. We also have a very nice ceremony for awarding the quilts - it can be done in a group setting (where usually 16 or 18 or more are awarded) or in a private setting (such as the veteran's home). If you decide to make one yourself, there are volunteer quilters across the country who will provide the batting and the quilting for you. I believe they are a little short-handed right now, but it's quite possible that a local group may be able to connect you with someone and get it done fairly quickly. Good luck!

Jane Quilter 09-29-2018 04:56 AM

A QOV made by you would be so meaningful. To keep it simple for yourself, I would suggest buying a patriotic panel and adding simple red, white, and blue blocks around the panel to enlarge it to the size you want. SITD or outline quilting would be fabulous. Pinterest has many ideas, like this one:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/284289795198600830/

Most quilting stores sell QOV panels like this one:
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0473835/k...anel-americana

Good Luck! And thank your dad for his service.

Blueridgebeverly 09-29-2018 05:42 AM

I went to QOVF.org website and read the policies and procedures information. Also used their group locator and it identified three groups in Ohio. None of them are near him in Dayton. Anyone aware of a group in the Dayton area?

Jane Quilter, I’ve seen some QOV quilts I think I could manage and then can take it to a longarm shop near me. But it wouldn’t have the ‘recognition’ I think he would find meaningful. I could make it and work with a local group to ‘award’ it. From reading at the official website, it seems there may be things that go with the QOVs that authenticate it.

Jordan 09-29-2018 05:58 AM

First of all-I thank your Dad for his service. If you could possibly contact a quilt shop near him and see if they have a group that makes quilts for veterans and inform them of your situation. I know there is a quilt shop in a nearby town here that accepts QOV. I totally understand you wanting to have some "recognition" for him and that would be so special to him. Maybe someone on this board will come thru for you that is closer to him. Also, if you made a quilt for him, that would be special too. Any pattern in RWB would be great. Good luck in your search and hope everything works out for you.

Macybaby 09-29-2018 06:38 AM

I've talked with the QOV people, and those in my state are very willing to let someone make a quilt for a specific recipient. I'm working on one for a coworker Priest, and am putting religious symbols in it that are very meaning to him.

They have standards so you have to stick with that (quality fabric, minimum size) and want it to be presented in some sort of meaningful method. And they want documentation about it for their records.

They will also supply you a label so the quilt is officially a QOV quilt. And if they want you to join, it's like $5 a year so not a big deal.

copycat 09-30-2018 02:31 AM

Please thank your father for his service.

In my opinion, your dad would love a quilt made by you. It could be a lap quilt size and the pattern can be as simple as a rail fence in red white and blue. The quilting design can be stitch in the ditch or tacked by machine to speed up the process if time is a factor. Our guild makes quilts for Veterans as part of our charity programs. (Quilts for Veterans is on our labels) We have given the quilts at a church service where the boy scouts present the quilts folded up neatly and handed to the veterans one by one.

southernmema 09-30-2018 05:35 AM

Dear Blueridgebeverly, I am a member of Georgia's Own QOV and piece QOV quilt tops. It is absolutely OK for you to make your father's quilt. I, like others, think it would be so special to him to have a QOV made for him by his daughter. You may award the quilt in whatever setting, etc., you chose. Just make sure you place a label on the back stating it is a QOV, etc. QOV website has alot of helpful info. And also google Quilts of Valor for patterns, info, etc. Just make sure that if your father is awarded a QOV, go to the QOV website and under the tab "Take Action" click on "Report a Quilt of Valor Award" so that his quilt will be registered with the organization and counted in the tally for number of quilts awarded.
Thank your father for his service! (My father was also a WWII veteran - Greatest Generation) And by all means, go ahead and make him a quilt as unfortunately most QOV groups have backlogs and it might take awhile to have one presented if you request online......and did you know that you can join QOV online as an individual? Our organization needs all the help we can get. Best wishes. Linda

meanmom 09-30-2018 05:43 AM

My guild makes QOV also. I would make one yourself. There are patterns on the QOV website and also all over Pinterest. As others have said you can register it on the QOV website. You add a label to the back identifying it was a QOV. You can really make it any way that you like. Some people like to do a small presentation ceremony. You can do it with family or friends. If he is a member of the local veterans organization. You could do the presentation there.