Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about rag quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-rag-quilts-t59136.html)

pittsburgpam 08-12-2010 05:12 PM

Ok, so I ordered 12 yards of flannel to make a rag quilt and it arrived today. It's 12 different yards in greens, reds, and beiges (I couldn't find much blue for some reason).

Anyway, I've never made one before and I have watched videos of how to but, it never said if the flannel needs to be washed first. It says to wash it afterwards. The flannel that I've seen used in the videos looks to be unwashed.

Wash first or not? I know it's going to shrink a lot.

amma 08-12-2010 05:13 PM

I would wash it first, it will shrink so much it could pull on the stitching.
The washing afterwards is just to get it to rag :D:D:D

Chasing Hawk 08-12-2010 05:13 PM

I would wash it afterwords. a lot less unraveling before cutting.

Maggiesmom 08-12-2010 05:20 PM

No, don't wash it first.

oatw13 08-12-2010 05:20 PM

I always pre-wash flannel, even when making rag quilts.

pittsburgpam 08-12-2010 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lol... Ask a dozen quilters and get a dozen answers!! :P

Really need some blue or it's going to look like a Christmas quilt.

ckcowl 08-12-2010 05:41 PM

flannel shrinks quite a bit and for more than one wash, if you are concerned about shrinkage go ahead and pre-wash the flannel once, toss it in the dryer, it will be nice and soft when it comes out; you will need to either use steam or starch when pressing it. it will still fray just fine when you make your rag quilt since you clip it. it is best to take them to a laundrymat if they are big, and i usually take them outside and give it a good shake before putting in the dryer. if it's a big raggy quilt i usually empty the lint trap in the dryer 1/2 way through too, it builds up fast. if it seems like there is alot of loose threads i take it out of the dryer and back outside to shake then back to finish drying.

jayelee 08-12-2010 05:44 PM

I never prewash for a rag quilt and I wash three times after sewing and empty lint about four times when drying Also find laundry mat best place for large ones nI find these rag quilts to be the warmest

justwannaquilt 08-12-2010 05:49 PM

I don't have an answer for pre-washing but I do have some advice for post-washing. DON'T DO IT IN YOUR WASHING MACHINE. Take it to the laundromat and do it there. Dry it there also. You might even do it a couple times while your there. lol They fray ALOT and there is NO WAY I would wash one in MY washer nor would I dry it in MY dryer. lol Pay the couple of bucks and save yourself come repair bills.

pittsburgpam 08-12-2010 05:49 PM

I just read somewhere to pre-wash or not, up to you but, if using red to definately pre-wash up to 3 times. With color catchers that might not matter. If you wash one of course you need to wash all of them.

Maybe I'll pre-wash just to be safe and wash the different colors seperately.