Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about scrappy quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-scrappy-quilts-t24929.html)

thismomquilts 09-01-2009 05:23 PM

What exactly is a scrappy quilt? I thought I knew - I thought it was where scraps - ANY and ALL kinds - are used - not much rhyme nor reason to it - ok, maybe darks, mediums, and lights - but not necessarily color or theme? Is there a specific way to do them? The one I'm working on I did make sure I am using all florals and using dark ones in the place of dark, etc. but I'm trying to make it so it's scrappy... is there a right way/wrong way - which may be a silly question - ... I just thought.. well, I've explained what I thought... what do you all consider as scrappy?

sewhappy57 09-01-2009 06:24 PM

Scrappy quilts are just using up your scraps. Bonnie Hunter is the queen of scrap quilts with 100's of free patterns. Go check her out at
www.quiltville.com Good luck!

sewnsewer2 09-01-2009 06:50 PM

Your avatar is a scrappy. I agree, Bonnie has a lot of good patterns.

oksewglad 09-01-2009 07:42 PM

Doing scrappy quilts--especially small ones has taught me so much about value (light and dark) and scale (big to little). So much more fun than a planned scrappy from charm squares or jelly rolls.

Jim's Gem 09-01-2009 08:01 PM

I love scrappy quilts that most of my quilts have at least 12 different fabrics in them (even if they aren't truely scrappy) I have several that have over a hundred different fabrics in them!!!

deedum 09-01-2009 08:30 PM

I love scrappies! agreed Bonnie at quiltville is tops!

Tippy 09-01-2009 08:43 PM

To me a scrappy quilt is just that.. no rhyme or reason necessarily.. just using up bits I have. No organized color scheme.

deedum 09-02-2009 03:22 AM

AGreed, that is the beauty of it! What makes it so fun and relaxing!

Cathe 09-02-2009 06:33 AM

Scrap quilts (in my opinion) require even more coordination than quilts for which you purchase all new fabrics. It's important to plac e the pieces carefully to achieve a clear pattern - the color and value contrasts are what make it work. The more fabrics you have to work with, the better it looks.

elizajo 09-02-2009 07:39 AM

Scrappy quilts are my favorites.... but I don't have a stash of fabrics. So I end up buying fabric to make scrappy quilts. Does anyone else do this?

I have found that I have to be a little fearless in choosing fabrics and resist the urge to be matchy-matchy. Even if I limit myself to specific color families, lots of variety is the key. Once I have a large number of fabrics, more than 40, I can see how contrast and value work together. To me, a pieced scrappy quilt has an energy that can't be seen in one made from coordinated fabrics.

I can see how quilter's build large stashes-- you end up with lots of leftovers! As soon as I buy fabrc, I'm going to cut them into strips like Bonnie Hunter recommends on quiltville.com so will I use what I have.