Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about scrappy quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-scrappy-quilts-t273671.html)

loisf 12-24-2015 02:12 PM

I don't think I would mix flannel with quilting cotton in a scrap quilt, but it sounds like others do. I certainly have mixed differing weights (thread counts) of cotton with good results.

madamekelly 12-25-2015 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I keep like scraps together, and any small pieces are cut 2 & 1/2" by however wide. When I get a small handful, I start sewing them into my own jelly rolls. Once I have a good sized "jelly roll", I use it to make my own pre-quilted fabric for small projects. I just sew it onto batting and a piece of backing, then cut out small projects like cell phone pockets to hang around the neck to keep it close, but not risk dropping it, and use extra lengths of binding to finish the top edges. Some pieces on my jelly rolls might only be 1" wide, but it just gives a crazy quilt look. I always have someone who needs a little pocket, bag, wallet, Barbie doll quilt, etc. I also use small scraps of batting for these. Here is one I made for DD to hold her cell phone in, in her purse to protect it from other "purse dwellers".

GingerK 12-26-2015 05:39 AM

I started cutting a lot of my scraps into 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 inch and so on. I saved mixed greens containers from the produce dept. and have them nicely lined up on a shelf. When I was making charity place mats for Meals on Wheels, I just grabbed a handful of already cut squares and sewed them together randomly. What I like about the size increments is that I can use the 3 inch size to make HST's to put with the 2 inch (finished) size so I have more options.

jmoore 12-26-2015 07:15 AM

I haven't got the time to precut scraps but I do have them in different bins by size. I.e, crumbs, strips and larger scraps

sewbizgirl 12-26-2015 07:24 AM

I try to cut my scraps into the biggest size strip or square they can make. They store better than a box full of jumbled scraps that have to be ironed to straighten them back out, and they are ready to go when I want to play with them.

I love cutting my scraps and organizing the strips and squares. It's therapeutic for me....

I wouldn't mix flannels with cottons in a quilt. Save the flannels for their own quilt or backing. Homespuns occasionally make their way into a quilt with regular cottons, but I prefer grouping them with my recycled shirts fabric.

tessagin 12-26-2015 07:56 AM

And crazy quilts for the wacky shapes. If big enough scrappy hexies or yo yos.

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7412835)
Crumb blocks or Maverick Stars work for odd shapes. My problem is that once I get started on these I can't stop.

ube quilting 12-26-2015 09:44 AM

I think using different fabrics in a scrappy quilt would bring a lot of interest to it. I would suggest that a lightweight fusable interfacing on homespuns will help stabilize them an reduce fraying. Other than that wash every fabric first for shrinking, even if it is just a wash in the sink and then dried in a dryer bag or pillow case.

Have fun creating your special scrappy!
peace

Mariposa 12-26-2015 09:53 AM

I don't mix cottons and flannels in the same project. Don't use homespuns. I do keep my scrap strips in bins, and the odd shaped pieces get used for 3" crumb blocks. I use the crumb blocks to include in making charity projects. They add great color. :)

purplefiend 12-27-2015 07:04 PM

I don't use flannels with flat cottons(regular/batiks). I use all the other cotton scraps in my scrappy quilts.

meyert 12-28-2015 07:20 AM

lightweight fusable interfacing on homespuns will help stabilize them an reduce fraying
Thats a good idea!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. This morning I plan on venturing into my fabric pile and start sorting and organizing... I may not make it out alive ha ha :)